Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

current maps?

Author
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
grahamb - 7/3/2020 7:37:03 AM
siggi - 7/3/2020 7:15:08 AM

ok, I've attached 2 pictures. 1 x the Std ICAO card, in which the border between FIR Switzerland and FIR Langen is shown in green. (between my red lines). This is definitely correct because Zurich reminded me on the edge. And I miss this in SkyDemon. Which runs much more south and is wrong. I would like it to be displayed as "bold". In Skydemon I have to search intensively for them.

You are still confusing FIR boundaries with FIS boundaries. The two are not the same.

SkyDemon does not show FIS boundaries on the main chart, but does on the Virtual Radar view when navigating. You can test this in simulation mode.

Thanks for the clarification, so I get the switch location in virtual radar, which is fine for me. I don't remember this from last time, maybe it has changed with the last changes in Swiss airspace around Zurich?
It is a bit confusing and awkward with Flight Information Services by Zurich FIS within the boundaries of Langen FIR though. Maybe Skydemon can add the FIS boundary on the map as well?

Edited 7/3/2020 8:35:12 AM by MarkusM
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
SkyDemon has never shown the boundaries between FIS (radio) areas in our main map. They clutter it up, and the information is always available with a touch of the map, or in the Radio tab, or in the Virtual Radar window all the time.
siggi
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
so I don't know what there is to discuss here. I buy a flying map, which should provide all information for the flight and planning. AND if I don't recognize during the flight that I'm moving out of the Zurich radar and the pilot points it out, that's just crap. Of course I can click on the map and I know what airspace is above me. The facts are simple. The limit for the FIR drawn by Skydemon is wrong. I had added an image for this. AirNavPro with a current ICAO card correctly shows this transition. And very simple. If that doesn't work in Skydemon and I can't rely on it, it's clearly up to me to use other software. What a discussion about a clear issue ...
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
siggi - 7/3/2020 9:40:29 AM
so I don't know what there is to discuss here. I buy a flying map, which should provide all information for the flight and planning. AND if I don't recognize during the flight that I'm moving out of the Zurich radar and the pilot points it out, that's just crap. Of course I can click on the map and I know what airspace is above me. The facts are simple. The limit for the FIR drawn by Skydemon is wrong. I had added an image for this. AirNavPro with a current ICAO card correctly shows this transition. And very simple. If that doesn't work in Skydemon and I can't rely on it, it's clearly up to me to use other software. What a discussion about a clear issue ...

One more time. 

Fact. The FIR boundary drawn by SkyDemon is correct. Check the Low Altitude chart in the German AIP for the area in question and you will see both FIR and FIS boundaries shown exactly as SkyDemon draws them. The product is as reliable as the quality of data supplied to it.

Whether you like the way in which the product depicts FIS areas or not is a matter of personal choice.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)

Siggi, Graham is right. Make yourself clear the difference between FIS and FIR.

Sometimes FIRs and FISs do not have the same boundaries, which can be a result of insufficient radar and/or radio coverage.

Eric

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
so I don't know what there is to discuss here. I buy a flying map, which should provide all information for the flight and planning. 

If your requirement for a moving map system is to be the sole information source for a flight, you may be terribly wrong with Skydemon (and any other consumer-grade electronic navigational app).

Many times the Skydemon staff, and Tim Dawson here in particular, did emphasize that Skydemon is only a navigational aid, a supplement, and not a replacement for proper flight preparation!

I only point to the recent discussion on NOTAMs, the Q-line and the 'reminder style' depiction of Skydemon -> which only directs you which particular NOTAMs to read and does not claim to draw the NOTAM area itself.

It took me a while to accept the way Skydemon supplements my flight planning, to some extend because I would like to have it differently, but I see this is impossible on the little manpower and for such cheap price. I am absolutely fine with the construction of Skydemon, but after understanding what they do, I never rely a flight on the information from within the app alone.

Edited 7/3/2020 6:56:02 PM by MarkusM
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search