Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Moving map orientation

Author
RobertJan
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The moving map in flying mode has three possible orientations: North Up, Track Up, Course Up. Would it be possible to add the options East Up, South Up, West Up?

That would enable us to turn the map more or less into the flying direction while keeping the wind directions aligned with the sides of the tablet.

Hamish Mead
Hamish Mead
Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)
RobertJan - 5/30/2020 2:32:42 PM
The moving map in flying mode has three possible orientations: North Up, Track Up, Course Up. Would it be possible to add the options East Up, South Up, West Up?

That would enable us to turn the map more or less into the flying direction while keeping the wind directions aligned with the sides of the tablet.

Robert, I don't understand the intended benefit. Is it an aid some kind of mental calculation as to the effect of the wind?

Are you aware the wind direction instrument (Setup > Navigation Options > Instruments > Show Wind) can be tapped during flight to cycle between displaying wind vector and head/cross-wind component?

My initial reaction was, I'd rather keep it simple.

If you still desire East, South, West Up, why not just lock the screen in a suitable North Up orientation before rotating your device back to the 'desired-cardinal-heading-up'?

RobertJan
RobertJan
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Hamish Mead - 6/1/2020 10:04:03 AM
RobertJan - 5/30/2020 2:32:42 PM

Robert, I don't understand the intended benefit. Is it an aid some kind of mental calculation as to the effect of the wind?

Are you aware the wind direction instrument (Setup > Navigation Options > Instruments > Show Wind) can be tapped during flight to cycle between displaying wind vector and head/cross-wind component?

My initial reaction was, I'd rather keep it simple.

If you still desire East, South, West Up, why not just lock the screen in a suitable North Up orientation before rotating your device back to the 'desired-cardinal-heading-up'?

Hi Hamish,

Thanks for your reply. My suggestion has nothing to do with the wind. In the time of paper charts the advise was to align them with your heading. So for instance: turn the map around when heading in a southernly direction, This lifts the burden of mentally turning yourself around on the map, which may cause errors like steering left where you should go right. In these digital days, fortunately,  the labels will remain upright. The idea is: give us the option to align the map with any of the four main directions: N, E, S, W.

The present alternatives - course up or track up - will keep the map well aligned with your direction. But you may lose the sense of orientation on the compass.The options I propose are a nice compromise. You still know where N, E, S and W are: aligned with the sides of your tablet. But the map also has your heading roughly on top.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
But you may lose the sense of orientation on the compass.The options I propose are a nice compromise. You still know where N, E, S and W are: aligned with the sides of your tablet. But the map also has your heading roughly on top.

That sounds like a lot of work for Tim/Tim's people for an almost pointless gain. If you fly track/course up and don't know which way you're going, despite a block of numbers telling you and the top of a compass rose doing the same thing, then I would take up gardening and stay well away from navigating an aircraft.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
T
[quote]
RobertJan - 6/1/2020 7:51:28 PM
This lifts the burden of mentally turning yourself around on the map, which may cause errors like steering left where you should go right. 

The way to cure yourself of that is not to think 'left-right' but 'clockwise-anticlockwise' or 'increase heading-decrease heading'

Then you have a technique which works whichever up the chart is.

RobertJan
RobertJan
PaulSS - 6/2/2020 6:00:34 AM
But you may lose the sense of orientation on the compass.The options I propose are a nice compromise. You still know where N, E, S and W are: aligned with the sides of your tablet. But the map also has your heading roughly on top.

That sounds like a lot of work for Tim/Tim's people for an almost pointless gain. If you fly track/course up and don't know which way you're going, despite a block of numbers telling you and the top of a compass rose doing the same thing, then I would take up gardening and stay well away from navigating an aircraft.

That's a very unfriendly reply. Why do you post such a negative message, what good do you think you achieve with that? I could write more, but you don't deserve it.

RobertJan
RobertJan
grahamb - 6/2/2020 9:20:13 AM
T
[quote]
RobertJan - 6/1/2020 7:51:28 PM
This lifts the burden of mentally turning yourself around on the map, which may cause errors like steering left where you should go right. 

The way to cure yourself of that is not to think 'left-right' but 'clockwise-anticlockwise' or 'increase heading-decrease heading'

Then you have a technique which works whichever up the chart is.

Of course. I understand the theory like everyone else. But it's useful to adapt the software to our instincts, rather than our knowledge. Hence the idea. Thanks for the hint, though.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Why do you post such a negative message, what good do you think you achieve with that?

Because I'm worried that I have to share the sky with someone who doesn't know which way he's going unless he can introduce another, quite frankly bizarre, method of orientating himself. There's North up and track/course up and that works well for everyone else from hangliders to A380s.

It's okay, you don't have to bother writing any more for my benefit. Perhaps write to Cessna and ask them for rotating seats so that you can sit sideways and face the direction of your chart.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search