Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

DFS chart style and airspace „E“

Author
e
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
i have the same opinion as mentioned here !
Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)
Johannes B. - 5/1/2020 2:19:15 PM
I like the new optics and FIR boundaries very much

Are you sure you like it? Here another example:

Old Version:

New Version:

There are 3 problems for me:
- Airspcace boundaries of Class D are not clearly visible like before
- Airspcace boundaries of Class D and E have exactly the same style
- Can't hide the airspcace boundaries of Class E

@Tim: Is it possible to reinstall the old version on the ipad?

Chris

Edited 5/1/2020 7:51:37 PM by Chris_LSZO
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)
Chris_LSZO - 5/1/2020 7:48:58 PM
Johannes B. - 5/1/2020 2:19:15 PM
I like the new optics and FIR boundaries very much

Are you sure you like it? Here another example:

Old Version:

New Version:

There are 3 problems for me:
- Airspcace boundaries of Class D are not clearly visible like before
- Airspcace boundaries of Class D and E have exactly the same style
- Can't hide the airspcace boundaries of Class E

@Tim: Is it possible to reinstall the old version on the ipad?

Chris

You are right, airspace A through D should be easy to distinguish from E, and preferably with a thicker, transparent band. What I like is the decluttered optic, but in certain areas, as you pointed out, this is not sufficient.

YouTube channel
Edited 5/2/2020 7:58:55 AM by Johannes B.
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)
The reason I am more fond of this new style is, that I am using the SkyDemon 1 map style, which shows airspace E as green shaded line, compare the screenshot.
Regarding the DFS style, I am on your page.

YouTube channel
Edited 5/2/2020 8:06:39 AM by Johannes B.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Since this topic appeared on several discussions I had a check for my own mission profile. First, I did not recognize a change as I am using Skydemon2 for German airspace, never liked the harsh (Gerrrmann? little and hard colors in that style sheet) DFS-stylish display.

Yes, I agree with fellow pilots that the current DFS-ish display of E is not the best.
Yes, as an IFR traveller using Skydemon for VFR parts, I totally agree with Skydemon to NOT let airspace E be switched off.
I can imagine the personal view of VFR-only, restricted microlight and ultralight pilots to ask for it, but folks - you are not alone in the sky!
The always visible boundary between controlled and uncontrolled airspace is a sure safety benefit for all of us, in my opinion.

A Proposal: Change the color of airspace E boundaries to the greenish as in the Skydemon styles could be a compromise.

Edited 5/2/2020 9:05:16 AM by MarkusM
Mike Stueber
Mike Stueber
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
I would like to have back the choice to hide airspace E like before.
The same would be great for the glider symbols at the places witch winch-launching.
At the moment the are cluttering the chart, especially in the southern part of Germany.
Mike

Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)
Mike Stueber - 5/2/2020 9:45:34 AM
The same would be great for the glider symbols at the places witch winch-launching.
At the moment the are cluttering the chart, especially in the southern part of Germany.

100% agree! The glider symbols are 5 times bigger then airports.... The same for the aerobatic symbols.
Summary: The last updates have clearly made the program worse and I hope to be able to reinstall the old version.

Chris

douglas5NR
d
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
Yeah, optics and FIR boundaries look pretty awesome.
Edited 5/2/2020 1:36:47 PM by douglas5NR
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Chris, you asked me to look at some screenshots on page 1 and said do I really think this is a good idea. I cannot see anything in those screenshots that is a bad idea, so I am forced to ask you what you are referring to specifically.

Most people use the SkyDemon chart styles, which contain much more functionality that the ones intended to match some of the colours and line styles of paper charts. It seems that changes to our charting features in the latest version may have negatively impacted the DFS style which I will look into later this morning.

The shaded borders at the outside of airspace classifications, but not at every level change within those classifications, are a valuable decluttering feature in our main chart styles. I suspect that these were brought into our DFS style in an attempt to improve legibility, and perhaps they are not wanted, but I will investigate further.

These changes were in beta for approximately two months, with no adverse reaction whatsoever. If people don't like them we will consider revising them back, but do feel free to get involved in the beta programme if you'd like an early opportunity to give feedback on changes.

Andreas
Andreas
Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/4/2020 8:53:02 AM
... If people don't like them we will consider revising them back...

I would be very happy to get the old DFS style back containing prominent airspace C & D markings.

Chears
Andreas

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search