Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Direct To Functionality

Author
carltn16
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
One function that I’ve always found invaluable is the Direct To. I’m sure there is a reason this has now been fragmented into “Direct To” and the new “Find” function but I’m not quite sure it’s as good as it was previously. The “Direct To” function now only works, as far as I can make out, for nearby airfields. The “Find” function, with the magnifying glass, now will also direct to points along the route, except for, and this is my main point, the next waypoint. Previously, the next waypoint would appear in the “Direct To” function which is always massively useful if you have been vectored off your planned route by ATC and then told to resume navigation to the original point. Now the Find function does not give the very next waypoint but the ones after that.

If anything, I feel it’s ended up confusing one useful function into two that don’t work as well! The long press on the SkyDemon button worked for me. 8-)

Edited 1/19/2020 9:37:46 PM by carltn16
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
We find most customers don't know about the long-press on the orb. Even people who've been customers for many years.

It has always seemed an odd request to have "Direct To" to your next waypoint, which is ALREADY your next waypoint. Can you confirm the behaviour you're after is the same as bringing up the What's Here menu for your next waypoint and choosing Take Shortcut?

carltn16
carltn16
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Thanks Tim,

The Direct To function used to do exactly what I’m looking for in that it would bring up a list of all the waypoints and allow you to plan a direct route to them. It is the same behaviour as What’s here and Take Shortcut on the map but you need to scroll the map to the next waypoint to invoke this. The Find function would do this if the next waypoint was listed.

The scenario I gave, where you have been vectored off the track line by ATC and now are instructed to resume navigation to your original waypoint and SkyDemon would re-draw the track line and allow you to fly direct to that point rather than the intercept that the HSI would give you. It’s quite a common feature of fitted GPS systems and one which SkyDemon did used to do in the original Direct To implementation. Obviously it would be the pilots responsibility to check that new line does not infringe airspace or terrain. Having the track line redrawn in this scenario helps you to spot this too.

Carl

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Thanks Carl, we will restore the next waypoint in the Find window, as well as all further waypoints as the current public build does.
carltn16
carltn16
Brilliant, thanks very much Tim.
marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
carltn16 - 1/21/2020 11:31:11 AM
Brilliant, thanks very much Tim.

Did this get implemented? 

From the Orb-> Find Waypoint, it only lists airfields and VRPs but not any other waypoints (e.g. Named towns)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search