Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Wind speed inconsistent between tooltip and marker?

Author
k
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is it just me or does that tooltip differ somewhat from the marker?

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
kombi - 12/8/2019 11:58:09 AM
Is it just me or does that tooltip differ somewhat from the marker?

The icon wind fletches are always displayed as knots, whereas the tooltip will change units according to those selected in Setup.

Edited 12/8/2019 4:56:19 PM by grahamb
kombi
k
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Should say 69 KM/h (rather than kph)

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
kombi - 12/9/2019 7:05:52 AM
Should say 69 KM/h (rather than kph)

A simple ‘thank you for explaining’ would have sufficed.

Edited 12/9/2019 7:53:35 AM by grahamb
kombi
k
Dear Graham,
I absolutely didn't mean to be impolite and I apologize if it seemed that way!

What I tried to say was: The tooltip (as per my screenshot) reads 69 kph or knots per hour (which would be some hefty wind), the icon says 35 knots per hour. It is probably just the unit of the numerical value not changing to KM/h with the settings. In other words: "wrong unit for windspeed in tooltip when changed to KM/h"

But maybe I did get something wrong and I stand corrected it that is the case. I otherwise love the software hope to be helpful.
Cheers,
Konrad

grahamb
grahamb
Apology accepted. There is no such speed as a ‘knot per hour’ as a knot is already a speed*, so I don’t think there is any chance that people will read it as anything else other than kilometres per hour. It would be up to Tim D as to whether he wishes to change the description of the units in the tooltip to match those in Setup to kmph. 

*A knot per hour is a unit of acceleration. 

Edited 12/9/2019 8:40:38 AM by grahamb
kombi
k
So I do stand corrected: Kilometres per hour have indeed been abreviated as "kph" according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometres_per_hour. I had never seen that before and wrongly interpreted it as "knots per hour" which of course make no sense as a unit. It seems though that "Km/h" has been widely adopted. I find it on most speedometers.

So to be correct, wind speed is absolutely NOT inconsistent between tooltip and marker in Skydemon! Just the unit used for for kilometre per hour somewhat mislead me as an all metric person. So, as a humble and minor feature request for future releases: Use Km/h instead of kph.

Cheers,
Konrad

plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)
kph uses less characters ;

Ive always thought it strange having two abbreviations for the same thing, I always thought kph was a more efficient and cleaner looking abbreviation at it only took the first letter of each word, assuming kilometre = one word.

Interestingly, we use double digits to differentiate other distance units e.g. mm for millimetre, nm for neutonmetre or nautical miles...

But here we are talking specifically about speed and so maybe it's ok to align to a different standard, miles per hour (mph), kilometres per hour (kph), knots per...oh wait!

And that's the trouble when there's a loose standard around the world. The amount of different units we use in aviation is bonkers. Europe tried to deal with it with the metric system but we must be 2-3 generations in and it's still not taken over (doesn't help when EASA switched millibars (metric?) to hectopascals).

Anyway, first world problems ;

Merry xmas
emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
I also commented on this a year ago without success. kph is in my opinion not a common abbreviation for kilometers per hour and confused me many times and it seems more users are irritated.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
It's shorter, and unambiguous. The fact two known people have been confused by it isn't enough reason to adopt a change with all the testing that would entail across the product to ensure the longer string didn't negatively affect textual output.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search