Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

France Intsruments Plates missing ?

Author
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Flying Dutchman - 6/7/2020 12:00:48 PM
Tim Dawson - 9/30/2019 10:20:57 AM
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to write to them yourself expressing the same desire.

Hi Tim, I understand the French have amalgamated their instrument plates into the "textual information" document in the Eurocontrol EAD system. In 2016 I saw a post of you, believing 'the French stated that they plan to reverse this change sometime in the coming months.' Have you got any update on this? 

Today, I noticed that the Garmin Pilot App is able to get to the single plates (also with geo referencing), so somehow they achieved to sort of index the French charts. Below an example of LFLL. Would be great if this functionality can be restored, although I understand it's probably beyond your control.

Thx for the hint - for curiosity I checked Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight, just for two of the competitors. Both show the georef'ed plates, so they somehow get separate PDFs. Maybe a good entry for Skydemon to approach SIA again?

Flying Dutchman
F
Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)
MarkusM - 6/7/2020 7:12:23 PM
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to write to them yourself expressing the same desire.

Hi Tim, I understand the French have amalgamated their instrument plates into the "textual information" document in the Eurocontrol EAD system. In 2016 I saw a post of you, believing 'the French stated that they plan to reverse this change sometime in the coming months.' Have you got any update on this? 

Today, I noticed that the Garmin Pilot App is able to get to the single plates (also with geo referencing), so somehow they achieved to sort of index the French charts. Below an example of LFLL. Would be great if this functionality can be restored, although I understand it's probably beyond your control.

Thx for the hint - for curiosity I checked Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight, just for two of the competitors. Both show the georef'ed plates, so they somehow get separate PDFs. Maybe a good entry for Skydemon to approach SIA again?

That might be an option. But the fact that those competitors are able to do it, makes me wonder if SkyDemon could do it now as well? I have no knowledge how SIA/Eurocontrol distribute the plates or through what kind of API such databases are accessed , but maybe now there's a new possibility to index the French plates? Or could there be another data source that Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight are using enabling them to index the French Charts?

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Flying Dutchman - 6/7/2020 9:14:06 PM
MarkusM - 6/7/2020 7:12:23 PM

That might be an option. But the fact that those competitors are able to do it, makes me wonder if SkyDemon could do it now as well? I have no knowledge how SIA/Eurocontrol distribute the plates or through what kind of API such databases are accessed , but maybe now there's a new possibility to index the French plates? Or could there be another data source that Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight are using enabling them to index the French Charts?

It may just be that Garmin and Foreflight are big enough to devote resource to bursting the pdfs before geo-referencing each month.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Yes, it's possible other software packages are splitting the PDFs themselves. We have been chasing the French (via Eurocontrol) to publish their IACs properly for a number of years now, but we cannot force them.

Clearly this is undesirable, so I'm following this up today to try to get some answers.

Flying Dutchman
F
Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/8/2020 9:33:21 AM
Yes, it's possible other software packages are splitting the PDFs themselves. We have been chasing the French (via Eurocontrol) to publish their IACs properly for a number of years now, but we cannot force them.

Clearly this is undesirable, so I'm following this up today to try to get some answers.

Looking forward to hear if you get any answers.

I wonder if other software packages are splitting the PDF’s, how they do it. Because besides possibly splitting the PDF's, they also manage to get them each geo-referenced. Grahamb points out that the data arrives via a single ‘approved’ channel (I guess then via Eurocontrol). What kind of metadata or other document properties are accessible in the PDF's through the used channel? Do we know if other software packages use the same data source? If you see any possibility, I offer to help coding something that is able to separate / extract the PDF’s in single IACs Smile

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
There's no metadata in PDFs for georeferencing; it's an entirely manual process.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/9/2020 8:56:44 AM
There's no metadata in PDFs for georeferencing; it's an entirely manual process.

Just for curiosity, why didn't you go for the Geospatial PDF format?
Edited 6/10/2020 6:01:29 AM by MarkusM
Flying Dutchman
F
Tim Dawson - 6/9/2020 8:56:44 AM

Personally I see the georeferencing as a 'nice to have'. However being able to access a single IAC / STAR / SID plate instead of scrolling through a huge document would be a great. I understand SD is not the problem but the data is, and that this feature in fact exists in SD, and you're requesting SIA to fix this, but in the last years this unfortunately didn't help.  

I know that you only want to implement something if it is good, but I think we can implement a stable script with enough sanity checks, that indexes the big pdf and throws out individual plates. To test it, I wrote a Python script that takes as input the big pdf as a whole. It takes the title names of every page which is located either in the top left or right corner, and then exports single IAC plates pdf's based on the name. I tested with LFGJ, LFLL and LFAB and it works. I'm willing to help implementing this in another programming language or adapt it to meet SD's high integrity standard for the data.

Example LFGJ.pdf output of the indexing step of the script:
page 0 : .LFGJ -1
page 1 : .LFGJ -2
page 2 : .LFGJ -3
page 3 : .LFGJ -4
page 4 : .LFGJ -5
page 5 : No data obtained
page 6 : LFGJ ADC 01
page 7 : LFGJ APDC 01
page 8 : LFGJ AOC RWY 05/23
page 9 : LFGJ DATA 01
page 10 : LFGJ DATA RWY05 RNP Y CODE
page 11 : LFGJ DATA RWY05 RNP Z CODE
page 12 : LFGJ DATA RWY05 RNP Z FASDB
page 13 : LFGJ IAC RWY05 ILS LOC
page 14 : LFGJ IAC RWY05 NDB
page 15 : LFGJ IAC RWY05 RNP Y
page 16 : LFGJ IAC RWY05 RNP Z
page 17 : LFGJ COM 01

Then saves the IAC's:
save page 13 as: RWY05 ILS LOC
created RWY05 ILS LOC.pdf
save page 14 as: RWY05 NDB
created RWY05 NDB.pdf
save page 15 as: RWY05 RNP Y
created RWY05 RNP Y.pdf
save page 16 as: RWY05 RNP Z
created RWY05 RNP Z.pdf

Attachments
LFGJ.pdf (335 views, 1.00 MB)
Edited 6/10/2020 3:24:02 PM by Flying Dutchman
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Markus, that's up to the people who create the PDFs, i.e. dozens of different authorities across Europe.

Flying Dutchman, interesting. That might be workable if we could prove it worked accurately and only spit out the IAC pages, I will give some further thought about how we could integrate that into our system workflow. Nice work!

Flying Dutchman
F
Tim Dawson - 6/12/2020 8:44:45 AM
Markus, that's up to the people who create the PDFs, i.e. dozens of different authorities across Europe.

Flying Dutchman, interesting. That might be workable if we could prove it worked accurately and only spit out the IAC pages, I will give some further thought about how we could integrate that into our system workflow. Nice work!

Hi Tim, any updates regarding this?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search