Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Taxiway Identifier Hard to Read and Missing Airport Layouts

Author
a
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I'm currently evaluating SkyDemon (Android version) in the trial version and I'm generally happy with it, but two questions regarding the airport ground layout/aerodrome charts:
1. Sometimes the taxiway identifiers are displayed really, really small (like the taxiway A in the screenshot attached from the airport EDMA): I understand that you try to fit the whole text "Taxiway A" next to the short taxiway, but wouldn't it make more sense to just display the taxiway identifier "A" there without the word "Taxiway"? This could then be displayed much bigger.
2. There are several airports, especially the bigger ones, without any airport ground layout displayed directly in the map till now and it also seems that there is no geo-referenced aerodrome chart available e. g. for EDDB.

I understand that smaller airports are more interesting for a mostly VFR target group, but there are also bigger airports where you can easily fly to VFR (with more or less OK landing fees) like EDDB - and these are then exactly the airports where you REALLY need a geo-referenced aerodrome chart as you get completely lost otherwise! :-)

Are there plans to either include all the airport ground layouts directly in the map (which would be best, of course) or do you plan to at least geo-reference also the remaining (bigger) airport aerodrome charts in Germany?

I don't mind if I need to purchase the additional DFS subscription for this, but as I understood also the DFS aerodrome chart for e. g. EDDB is not geo-referenced till now:
Maybe somebody can confirm this as I can test this in the trial version?

Best regards and thanks
Andreas

Attachments
SkyDemon-Taxiway.png (562 views, 38.00 KB)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
You're right that the taxiway label should be bigger, I will alert the right person about this deficiency and it'll be addressed. Airfield mapping work is ongoing here at SkyDemon, it's a never-ending task and we prioritise based on how popular the airfields are with VFR pilots. Large commercial airports are often not very popular with VFR pilots so many of them will be low down the list.

If you contact our technical support directly (use the contact link on our website) they'll be able to give you an answer about the georeferenced EDDB plate as the person likely to answer your email is also the person who will make that decision.

ab-tools
a
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Hello Tim,

first thanks a lot for your reply and addressing the taxiway labeling issue directly - really appreciating this and looking forward to a program update on this!

Regarding the airfield mapping into the vectorized map directly I can imagine that this is probably a lot of work (especially for big airports), but - sorry for the perhaps stupid question - why is the geo-referencing of DFS charts so much effort?

Maybe a bit naively I expected that simply all the additionally paid DFS charts would be geo-referenced and I was a bit surprised that most of them are not.

I mean if the DFS charts are scaled correctly (which I hope they are :-) ) I would expect that you "just" need to set one point (latitude/longitude) manually and the chart can be easily overlaid on the map, no matter how complex the chart itself is (e. g. for a big airport).

Would this not be something that is doable for just all of the DFS charts in a reasonable amount of time?

Best regards and again thanks a lot for your support
Andreas

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
They are not all scaled correctly. Some of them are quite old, some of them are even missing the markings that make it possible to georeference them 100% correctly.
FliegerAss
F
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)
ab-tools - 7/5/2019 11:25:38 AM
Hello,

I'm currently evaluating SkyDemon (Android version) in the trial version and I'm generally happy with it, but two questions regarding the airport ground layout/aerodrome charts:
1. Sometimes the taxiway identifiers are displayed really, really small (like the taxiway A in the screenshot attached from the airport EDMA): I understand that you try to fit the whole text "Taxiway A" next to the short taxiway, but wouldn't it make more sense to just display the taxiway identifier "A" there without the word "Taxiway"? This could then be displayed much bigger.
2. There are several airports, especially the bigger ones, without any airport ground layout displayed directly in the map till now and it also seems that there is no geo-referenced aerodrome chart available e. g. for EDDB.

I understand that smaller airports are more interesting for a mostly VFR target group, but there are also bigger airports where you can easily fly to VFR (with more or less OK landing fees) like EDDB - and these are then exactly the airports where you REALLY need a geo-referenced aerodrome chart as you get completely lost otherwise! :-)

Are there plans to either include all the airport ground layouts directly in the map (which would be best, of course) or do you plan to at least geo-reference also the remaining (bigger) airport aerodrome charts in Germany?

I don't mind if I need to purchase the additional DFS subscription for this, but as I understood also the DFS aerodrome chart for e. g. EDDB is not geo-referenced till now:
Maybe somebody can confirm this as I can test this in the trial version?

Best regards and thanks
Andreas

Just answered to the the same topic to skydemon team via email. I´m looking for a alternate to foreflight and skydemon seems for VFR piloting more sufficient. But, as you already said, a good taxi advise on ground is substantial even on big airports.  And its easy to improve it. Do it like foreflight, remove the word taxiway and use the new space on the plate to grow the taxi number. Seems really very easy. Next topic is, have a look on Leipzig, and you never will find the most important taxi number H5 on the main map when you are landing on 26L thats disgracing the man who was advised to taxi H5, no idea where it is. 
Further on, a small but for me important feature. The Runway extension line on the map as its done on foreflight. Very helpful in bad weather condition.
For me skydemon the better vfr tool when solving the above topics. 

Very best regards

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Do you not see the extended runway centrelines in SkyDemon? We've had them from the beginning.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search