Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

User Documents Sync across devices

Author
spjohnston82
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have just recently started using the User Documents feature, with the aim to add POH, checklists, helicopter circuit maps etc to try achieving a paperless cockpit.

I have noticed however that there is no way to sync these documents between devices. There also appears to be no way to rename documents. This causes problems in linking pdfs to airfields as you need to rename a pdf, then email it to yourself, then open it on skydemon on each device.

An alternative/workaround could be to sync User Documents to a Dropbox/google drive etc. So that any changes to the pdfs would be picked up by any device on loading.

I would suggest an improvement to be able sync everything with the save to/load from cloud option, rather than this being limited to settings/preferences and having to sync aircraft separately and documents manually.

As it is often easier to plan routes on an iPad but create/amend pdfs on a PC, I would like all devices to be in sync with as little effort as possible.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
I don't think this is a good idea. People tend to store huge amounts (often GBs) of custom documents and if you feed that over the net you need some mechanism not to clog the connection.
spjohnston82
spjohnston82
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
I don’t think that would be an issue, as only new documents would need to be downloaded, so an infrequent activity. Simply adding user documents to the save/load from cloud option would be sufficient. Auto syncing would be great but not currently used anywhere else in SD, so unlikely. The apple update warning “your not on WiFi, do you really want to download?” message could be an option tho.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
How much Cloud storage do you think Tim should provide, and if so should it be chargeable? Routes, settings, track logs and aircraft data take up trivial amounts of storage per user, but as Markus says, user document storage could soon get out of hand,
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Just had a quick look for my actual user documents - North of 1 GB only for the daily most used documents. There is little sense in duplicating or triplicating this storage, causing a vast overhead in energy consumption, redundant memory storage, climate change and causing data security issues like f*ck. Even today I have not the slightest idea what happens if the GDPDR police really looks after logs stored in the cloud - individual aircraft registration = personal data! It might be thought convenient, if we only had unlimited always anywhere accessible network capacity and energy resources, but I still insist, it is not well thought.
Edited 5/12/2019 6:54:04 PM by MarkusM
spjohnston82
spjohnston82
Good point, unless limited could be a big overhead for SD. Was thinking more along the lines of the data being stored in iCloud (like some other apps) or google/Dropbox etc and downloaded onto devices when required. It’s mainly the convoluted route of loading new docs that’s the issue. A “sync docs from Dropbox/iCloud etc” would be great, keeping the data off SD systems. Maybe the post should have been titled better!
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
SkyDemon is not a document management system and our development resources are unlikely to be targeted towards making it more like one.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search