Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Wrong scale on maps printout

Author
peter.kesten
Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everybody, dear Skydemon team,
as far as I can tell, SkyDemon outputs maps on printers at a wrong scale. If I am in the settings e.g. 1: 500k specify, the 25km line in the printouts at the bottom left is always about 4.3 centimetres long, which corresponds approximately to the scale 1: 581k. This happens both in the "print-chart" function via the right mouse button and when printing briefing packs.
I have tested this on several systems. SkyDemon plan on "real" PCs as well as in the wine-wrapped version on Macs, as well as the app on iOS devices (iPhone 7+ and iPad Mini 2). Both with different printers. Incidentally, the error also happens when I share the briefing pack as PDF on iOS devices. So I am nearly sure that the problem is not with the hosts or the printers / printer drivers, but with SkyDemon itself. I use the app on all devices in the latest version 3.12.4.
It would be very important if this problem is solved as soon as possible because the issue has a legal meaning last: I use the printed map as a security backup when flying and I do not want to be prosecuted because "I had used insufficient materials for flight preparation" if it comes to an accident or something else.
Best regards!
Peter

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Whilst agreeing with your view that the actual scale of a printed chart should match that depicted, there is no legislation in Europe that says you have to carry a chart on paper at all, let alone what scale it should be, correct or otherwise!

NCO Ops just requires that your charts and other aeronautical data should be current, and access and reliability assured (i.e. a backup could be another electronic device).
peter.kesten
peter.kesten
Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)
grahamb - 4/22/2019 2:25:01 PM
Whilst agreeing with your view that the actual scale of a printed chart should match that depicted, there is no legislation in Europe that says you have to carry a chart on paper at all, let alone what scale it should be, correct or otherwise!

NCO Ops just requires that your charts and other aeronautical data should be current, and access and reliability assured (i.e. a backup could be another electronic device).

be sure that I know, that there is no legal need for paper charts. but i don‘t want to carry an additional electronic device with me. and yes, as you say: required is reliability. a wrong scale (in comparison to what is stated on the chart) does not fulfil this. So the printed charts are not useable. Not for the main flight preparation and also not as a backup.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
I completely disagree that they would be unusable or illegal to use as a backup.

But you are welcome to believe what you like.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
We are aware that the actual scale can differ slightly to what is written on printed output. However, this is of little importance in practice, as Graham says, and while it will be addressed in due course, I'm afraid it is very low on our development list.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search