Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Icons in App changable ?

Author
T
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello SD-Useres,

After some tests with different products, I decided to buy SkyDemin a few days ago.
The functionality, support and stability seems to be great.
But one of the most discussable things is the map layout imho.
If you compare to the competition, sometimes its much more clearer, faster and  easy to understand as with SD (I dont know, if its allowd to post a picture from skydemon and one competitor).
So my question: Is it possible or planned to change the standard icons in the app ? Airfields, obstacles or the much to big glider ficon? If you see the normal DFS ICAO chart, you can see clear icons with high contrast - and thats what is important for me.
Example on german map: Try to EDFM and click on it without 1 sek searching. On PC version with small black icon not possible.

Btw: Why looks map on PC version and mobile version different? (CTR is completly red on mobile app, on PC not. Icons are different and so on).

Dont understand me wrong, I like SD - its just a question do make it even better. Or - mayby I cant the the right setting in the app, as I am new to this software.

cheers
Chris

Edited 4/16/2019 6:43:43 PM by ThePhantom79
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
ThePhantom79 - 4/16/2019 6:37:38 PM
Hello SD-Useres,

After some tests with different products, I decided to buy SkyDemin a few days ago.
The functionality, support and stability seems to be great.
But one of the most discussable things is the map layout imho.
If you compare to the competition, sometimes its much more clearer, faster and  easy to understand as with SD (I dont know, if its allowd to post a picture from skydemon and one competitor).
So my question: Is it possible or planned to change the standard icons in the app ? Airfields, obstacles or the much to big glider ficon? If you see the normal DFS ICAO chart, you can see clear icons with high contrast - and thats what is important for me.
Example on german map: Try to EDFM and click on it without 1 sek searching. On PC version with small black icon not possible.

Btw: Why looks map on PC version and mobile version different? (CTR is completly red on mobile app, on PC not. Icons are different and so on).

Dont understand me wrong, I like SD - its just a question do make it even better. Or - mayby I cant the the right setting in the app, as I am new to this software.

cheers
Chris

Have you tried selecting different Chart (map) styles? Maybe one gives you what you are looking for?
Page 8 of the latest SD user manual describes this.
Tony

MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
You can also adjust the waypoint size, in the cartography menu. Perhaps it could help.

M

ThePhantom79
T
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
Yes, I tried different chart syles, but unfortunately is doenst affect the "waypoints".
And yes, waypoint size is adjustable, then it is a little bit better.
But for better understanding:

Left side: SkyDemon, airfield black / small - all icons black / small. Right side: competitor - You can see the same airfield and all important. At least the icons could be better in SD. Maybe this a topic for improvment? 

And: left side is from PC-Version - means, airfields are black, in mobile versions, airfield icon is different. Why?

All other things are great. 
cheers
Chris

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Personally, even in the example you give, in my view SD wins hands down on legibility on all fronts, airfield depiction included.

How is it not crystal clear?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
How the map is drawn depends upon zoom scale too. You're zoomed right in on the left-hand screenshot there, at least 1:250k scale, meaning SkyDemon has de-emphasized the airfield icon in order to start drawing airfield ground features such as its perimeter, and other local features such as minor roads. You'll find the SkyDemon chart adapts itself to the current zoom level more than any other chart.
ThePhantom79
T
Thanks Tim, thats a reason why the icon is different ...

But after two weeks of using SD, I still have the opinion: The map / airfield style / waypoint is confusiung. I planned a route for a "just fun" flight with a friend, and we wanted to land at úp to 3 other airfields. For that that we looked in an overview zoom level, which airfields are available. But they are so hard to identify (often white color on white ground), that we both end up in using the paper map to choose our route :-(

Maybe it will be better, when using Skydemon a longer time and my eyes know, where to look for ;-)

Tony N
Tony N
ThePhantom79,
I use SD Map style 2 here in UK and here is a screensnip of a typical route.
I think the airfields stand out quite clearly but perhaps your background terrain is different shading where you fly?
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
Sending a big screenshot might help us understand why your map isn't very clear to you.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search