Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Display/Feature Request(s): Heading instrument, CDI banner, Small screen HSI, Centering

Author
Kilian Swannet
Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've got some ideas about features I came up with over the past couple of months and listed them below. If not see them implemented, I'd like to hear opinions on them.

In the navigation settings, under instruments, it would be nice if it were possible to add a course or magnetic heading to the next waypoint in addition to just the magnetic track. I know this is shown on the HSI on the bottom of the screen but it seems to only show if the deviation is large enough. Or maybe by tapping on the magnetic track you could switch between magnetic track and desired track to next waypoint ( and magnetic heading).
Additionally, maybe it could be nice to have the option to switch the HSI on the bottom of the screen to a lint or bar style CDI? This way you could set up Skydemon to provide all the information at a glance which is e.g. shown on the default nav page of Garmin devices.

In the radio tab, maybe it would be beneficial to order the radio frequencies based on flight plan first, before listing the additional frequencies based on distance. I've noticed sometimes I've had to scroll down and search for my next frequency because it firsts lists frequencies of small airfields around me.
I've also noticed that boundaries of flight information services aren't shown (i.e. which "... info" you should be talking to). For example in The Netherlands, when to switch between Dutch mil and Amsterdam info. Similarly, in France, the paper charts have these boundaries and frequencies marked clearly. I know I am nitpicking at this point but these details could bring SD a step closer to truly replacing paper charts.

The following points are mostly when using SD on smaller devices like smartphones.
when opening e.g. the radio tab on the side of the screen, the map will move so that the aircraft is centred in the part of the screen where the map is still visible (in portrait mode this can be a very small space). But when the tab is closed again, the map does not seem to reposition automatically to centre the aircraft again... Maybe a dedicated centre button could help here since the arrow which allows you to recenter when panning only appears when the aircraft is off screen, not on the sides of it?

Coming back to the HSI, when dragged on to the screen, it covers either the aircraft current position or where you are going. For smaller devices it could be nicer to have the screen split, showing the HSI on the bottom and the moving map above it so nothing is covered up. In this case, the empty space to the sides could be used to show some additional info, or even move down some of the instruments from the top of the screen to increase map size above? (note that on smaller devices I personally keep the virtual radar banner disabled)

Thoughts on these points?
Cheers!

Edited 4/14/2019 1:03:34 PM by Kilian Swannet
Kilian Swannet
Kilian Swannet
Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)
Kilian Swannet - 4/14/2019 12:57:39 PM

I've also noticed that boundaries of flight information services aren't shown (i.e. which "... info" you should be talking to). For example in The Netherlands, when to switch between Dutch mil and Amsterdam info. Similarly, in France, the paper charts have these boundaries and frequencies marked clearly. I know I am nitpicking at this point but these details could bring SD a step closer to truly replacing paper charts.

I just saw another post mentioning lack of FIS boundaries so I guess this has been requested/covered before.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It's for others to weigh in on most of these suggestions.

What I will say however, is that SkyDemon "truly replaces paper charts" by NOT including every single detail in our maps, but making many a finger-touch away. That is one of many things that makes it better than static charts. It sounds like you're new to SkyDemon, and perhaps some things are yet to be discovered.

Kilian Swannet
Kilian Swannet
Tim Dawson - 4/15/2019 2:08:29 PM
It's for others to weigh in on most of these suggestions.

What I will say however, is that SkyDemon "truly replaces paper charts" by NOT including every single detail in our maps, but making many a finger-touch away. That is one of many things that makes it better than static charts. It sounds like you're new to SkyDemon, and perhaps some things are yet to be discovered.

I realise that, maybe I went a bit too far with that statement.
The point about the FIS boundaries is not knowing where to use that single finger-touch. Showing the boundaries of FIS would allow you to at least see where to tap to check the frequency. Right now, flying across FIS boundaries I find myself randomly tapping places on the map to figure out when exactly I should switch (or take out a paper chart and check the boundary on there). 

All other points (except for maybe the last one) are more of the "on-touch-away information" type. The most important ones to me being the course instrument and frequency listing order. The others are more minor things, the others are, again, just ideas I had.

I'm (relatively) new to the forums, as in I don't use them often, but I've been using SD for the past 4 years. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search