Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD with skyEcho 2 and Mode C or S transponder support

Author
Serge
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
Just got this newsletter from uAvionix, I am wondering if SD will have this feature also in the short term.

This week at Aero Friedrichshafen, uAvionix and PocketFMS are excited to announce collaboration on inter-operable Electronic Conspicuity with skyEcho 2 and EasyVFR 4. EasyVFR 4, currently in beta and planned for commercial release Q2 2019, will integrate with skyEcho 2’s native capabilities to receive ADS-B, FLARM, and, for the first time, alert pilots if an aircraft is nearby with only a Mode C or S transponder.

Thanks

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I'm afraid we declined to implement the SkyEcho 2's feature whereby it can receive some very basic information about Mode C/S only aircraft, when offered it a few weeks ago. The feature contains even less useful data than the "bearingless targets" feature people are accustomed to from FLARM and PilotAware devices, and is in my opinion, very poor and offers nothing to users other than potential distraction.
Serge
Serge
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Thanks Tim, hope they will improve there solution, so SD would be able to implement it.
Paul Guilbert
P
Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)
I would suggest that less than a 1/5th of aviation traffic has ADS-B out here in the UK (see the FlightRadar24 stats). I have two traffic systems in my 1979 C182. A TRX-1500 which provides for FLARM and ADS-B detection and presentation, and also Mode C/S proximity warning, but all on the tiny Garmin 650 display. I have an I-pad mini running SD fed by the Sky Echo 2 which provides for a much better presentation of ADS-B traffic on (the larger) screen but no FLARM (separate fee which I don't seem to need on my TRX-1500) and no Mode C/S warning. As a result I would not recommend purchasing the Sky Echo 2 unless uAvionix and the connected software is capable of presenting half useful Mode C/S information and providing some sort of warning.

Personally I wish ADS-B was made compulsory in the UK as cockpit solutions for traffic detection would only cost a few hundred pounds. That same solution can provide for transmission too. My major concern when flying is not seeing traffic on a collision course. Mark 1 eye ball cannot see in all directions/heights at all times. How often do you look for an aircraft when told where to look and still struggle to pick it out? What about IMC?

Currently my TRIG-21 transmits Mode S/ADS-B out and the TRX-1500 FLARM. I hope I can be seen by everyone but would like to see everyone too...

Alf
Alf
Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/13/2019 8:22:02 AM
I'm afraid we declined to implement the SkyEcho 2's feature whereby it can receive some very basic information about Mode C/S only aircraft, when offered it a few weeks ago. The feature contains even less useful data than the "bearingless targets" feature people are accustomed to from FLARM and PilotAware devices, and is in my opinion, very poor and offers nothing to users other than potential distraction.

Dear Tim,

I understand your point, but why don´t you leave the decision to use SkyEcho 2 Mode S data within SD with the respective user? This is no criticism, but I think every user here is a responsible and careful pilot, and after a field test, they can decide by themselves whether to use the feature by clicking or unclicking the tickbox.

Many thanks and BR,
Alf

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Because it would have meant significant development effort on our part, for a feature that uAvionix have subsequently abandoned.
firefoxstar
f
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Dear team,
How is the actual status with Skydemon, SkyEcho2 and the reception of Mode S transponder?
I'm still heavily missing this feature - it's very nice to see ADS-B traffic, but even a bearingless target is better than seeing no traffic.
Is this feature already implemented or am I doing someting wrong?
Thanks for the answer?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
There is no such feature offered by SkyEcho devices.
firefoxstar
f
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Ok, I understand that there is no such feature at the moment, but is it on the product roadmap? 
Regarding to this... 
and, for the first time, alert pilots if an aircraft is nearby with only a Mode C or S transponder.
there were talks about launching this feature. Here is the Link to the newsletter
I own a skyecho 2 since 1 week and I'm missing this feature heavily - I spent the whole day at a local airport - 25 landings, different light aircrafts, only one was visible in Skydemon because of ADS-B. Even a proximity warning would help. If not, the device is, I would say, useless - unless I'm approaching an international airport with heavy aircrafts - but in that case I don't need it because of traffic control.

firefoxstar
f
It is still presented as a feature on some product pages:
Non-ADS-B Transponder Proximity Detection
SkyEcho 2 enhances awareness with a beta feature which alerts you to nearby aircraft which have a Mode C or Mode S transponder, but no ADS-B output. Using the SSR and TCAS transponder replies, SkyEcho 2 and the supported EFB application can detect and alert you if one of these aircraft are nearby and within a dangerous altitude band.

This was my purchase decision, I have to say - and now you are telling me, there is no such feature?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search