Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

VFR-AIP Germany - Airport Info

Author
M
Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!
My name is Sebastian and I am Flying in South-West Germany. After a season using the monthly subscription before each flight I finally chose the yearly one starting this year, hoping to fly more cross country :-)

I am also using the DFS AIP subscription on SD and I have a few remarks / suggestions:
1) I was wondering why the Textual Information for each airport is split into several files. For "EDFM Mannheim City" for example I have to download and open 5 files to read the airport info from the AIP, which all contain only one single page of the official AIP. Also, they are listed in the wrong order (starting with page 2, then 2B, 2A and finally page 1) which makes it hard to read fast over them (especially if the text is continuously written without a line break at the end of a page).
For me it would make more sense if all Information would be in one file.
2) It would be great if you could include the opening ours (which are also in the AIP data) directly to the airport info screen! Would make it easier while planning and searching for open airports which could be approached, instead of opening the pdf files for all airports on the route and searching for the data in it. This could also be extended by color-coding the airport symbols on the map while flying to see which airports are open / closed!

I am interested on your thoughts for the ideas Smile

Best,
Sebastian

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Hi Sebastian, welcome.

1. This is the way the PDFs are provided to us by DFS. We have repeatedly asked them to merge documents into one file per airfield, but so far they have not been willing or able to do this. I heartily encourage you to contact them yourself to make the same request. We will be repeating our request in person at Aero Friedrichshafen, where many DFS and Eisenschmidt staff are present. If you're coming to the show, please do the same.

2. We show opening hours in the Admin Info for German airfields. Perhaps you haven't yet discovered this?

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
MaverickVG - 3/27/2019 9:04:50 PM
Hi!
My name is Sebastian and I am Flying in South-West Germany. After a season using the monthly subscription before each flight I finally chose the yearly one starting this year, hoping to fly more cross country :-)

I am also using the DFS AIP subscription on SD and I have a few remarks / suggestions:
1) I was wondering why the Textual Information for each airport is split into several files. For "EDFM Mannheim City" for example I have to download and open 5 files to read the airport info from the AIP, which all contain only one single page of the official AIP. Also, they are listed in the wrong order (starting with page 2, then 2B, 2A and finally page 1) which makes it hard to read fast over them (especially if the text is continuously written without a line break at the end of a page).
For me it would make more sense if all Information would be in one file.
2) It would be great if you could include the opening ours (which are also in the AIP data) directly to the airport info screen! Would make it easier while planning and searching for open airports which could be approached, instead of opening the pdf files for all airports on the route and searching for the data in it. This could also be extended by color-coding the airport symbols on the map while flying to see which airports are open / closed!

I am interested on your thoughts for the ideas Smile

Best,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian
I know it is not ideal, but until such time as DFS get their act together, you could merge and re-order the files yourself by going here.
Kind regards

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

MaverickVG
M
Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)
Hi Tim,

1) do you have an email adress from the DFS where I could make the request? Maybe until the DFS moves would it be an option to include an an "all-in-pdf" with all information of an airfield (nevertheless if its only "data" or charts)? Could be composed directly out of SD, would also make life easier easier for printing. Before approaching an unknown airfield I personally always want to double-check that I saw all available information "at one glance"
2) yeah, I saw the Admin Info, but it seems "not official" to me. It is (for me) not obvious if you extract the data from the AIP or if it is based on something else (a link to the page of the official AIP would be awesome). How about the additional idea of color coding the airfields on the map in planning mode based on their operation time?

@Mike: would be an option, but I would have to redo this with every update. For doing so my pain is not large enough yet ;-)

Sebastian

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Maybe it is not even a DFS problem, but an airport one? The same odd splitting can be seen in the documents of the airports.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I don't have a public email address for DFS but I would start on the Eisenschmidt website and contact them from there.

As for you not thinking the opening hours we show in SkyDemon are "official" I don't know what I can do about that. As it happens we source that data directly from DFS, but we are not about to label every place in SkyDemon where that's the case. You either trust our data or you don't.

MaverickVG
M
ok, I will give Eisenschmidt a try.

Concerning the opening hours: now I know they are "officially" from DFS and everything is fine. Thanks! Sorry for being not sure about it.

Seabstian

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search