Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feeature Request: Hardware Tool to output serial Signals to steer my autopilot

Feeature Request: Hardware Tool to output serial Signals to steer my...
Author
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@DMOIN: They have safety concerns, with very good reason, and the 'freedom' of ultra- and microlight is not always a good thing. In the certified world such function is in violation with everything which brought aviation to safety!

To facts, it works and yes, as an emergency backup I do also use an iPhone to feed data to the autopilot via Bluetooth (and yes, feeding the track including GPSS from the iOS device also works with the competition, it is indeed easy). But we have to respect Skydemon decision to not offer this function and I am all with them, given a whole big part of my fellow pilots behavior. Also but, we will see the function as the pressure of the masses will bring not only the good to surface.

Edited 5/11/2020 7:21:45 AM by MarkusM
DMOIN
DMOIN
Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)
@Markus
I see your point. However, as of today my Garmin 795 is delivering the NMEA data.
I see no difference in using the 795 for this or to use my iPad...... It is simple a question of getting away with HW that is absolutely inflexible in usage and comes from an age where this kind of HW was "superficial" also with the funny license model to get actual data.......

Now I am doing my routing/planning on the ipad using SD, and have to duplicate this on my 795..... This makes no sense at all.......

gasoline is also very dangerous but not having it aboard is even worse :-)

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
DMOIN - 5/11/2020 3:59:14 PM
@Markus
I see your point. However, as of today my Garmin 795 is delivering the NMEA data.
I see no difference in using the 795 for this or to use my iPad...... It is simple a question of getting away with HW that is absolutely inflexible in usage and comes from an age where this kind of HW was "superficial" also with the funny license model to get actual data.......

Now I am doing my routing/planning on the ipad using SD, and have to duplicate this on my 795..... This makes no sense at all.......

gasoline is also very dangerous but not having it aboard is even worse :-)

There is a major and HUGE difference in using a Garmin 795 for an iPad.
The Garmin 795 is certified as Non-TSO GPS source in Trio and TruTrak (now BendixKing) autopilot installations.
The iOS devices are not and by good reasons. For me they are only and solely applicable as absolute emergency fallback.

Edited 5/11/2020 6:35:35 PM by MarkusM
DMOIN
DMOIN
Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)
Good, read your message but I am now flying since 11 years now 550 hours. Not much maybe but I am a privateer and have to earn some money..... 10 out of 11 years I have used my iPhone or iPad as main source for navigation. NEVER in these 10 years they ever failed while the EZpilot and Garmin did (lost GPS signal) 

So if I would rate your opinion I would say it is an educated guess or position as it has no solid background except that you cn draw the certificate Garmin did and Apple (for good reason) did not. Apple don't want to be a supplier in this industrie, but hat does nt say their HW is unreliable. 

pilot-byom
p
DMOIN - 5/12/2020 6:02:38 AM
Good, read your message but I am now flying since 11 years now 550 hours. Not much maybe but I am a privateer and have to earn some money..... 10 out of 11 years I have used my iPhone or iPad as main source for navigation. NEVER in these 10 years they ever failed while the EZpilot and Garmin did (lost GPS signal) 

So if I would rate your opinion I would say it is an educated guess or position as it has no solid background except that you cn draw the certificate Garmin did and Apple (for good reason) did not. Apple don't want to be a supplier in this industrie, but hat does nt say their HW is unreliable. 

The certification process is no joke and it took both vendors major effort (and money) to receive the permit to connect an autopilot to handheld devices. Just a few years ago this would never ever have been imaginable in the certified world, so who knows what comes next.

But, there are only certain handheld devices on specific software versions approved, which also reflects the thorough testing of the devices. Internal error correction and RAIM monitoring are fields of testing and yes, the device has to disconnect when defined error margins are not met. An iOS device does not do that and more drastic - the iOS device is a multi purpose device, so it cannot guarantee alltime function by design.

iOS and iPadOS are not real time operating systems, so they most probably will never qualify in such configuration for aviation. Apple would have to implement real time operations mode, which would be in direct contradiction with the thought function of a smart device. So, yes, I guess Apple is not interested in our tiny niche market wrecking their philosophy.

Edited 5/12/2020 7:02:10 AM by MarkusM
DMOIN
DMOIN
MarkusM - 3/18/2019 6:44:21 PM
The hardware for that is ready and working, I saw it last week on both Trio and TruTrak autopilots, getting GPS wireless from an iPhone. It is only the navigation software to implement the steering commands transmission. Will it come? Yes! Who will be the first and how long until allowed in certified aircraft we don't know. My bet, much quicker then old farts believe. But, many still believe handheld GPS cannot be used for autopilots, which is definitely wrong.

Markus, am I talking to Jekyll or Hide? Please read yor own 4 posts from page 1 before arguing why IOS is incapable.........

pilot-byom
p
DMOIN - 5/13/2020 4:33:38 PM
MarkusM - 3/18/2019 6:44:21 PM
The hardware for that is ready and working, I saw it last week on both Trio and TruTrak autopilots, getting GPS wireless from an iPhone. It is only the navigation software to implement the steering commands transmission. Will it come? Yes! Who will be the first and how long until allowed in certified aircraft we don't know. My bet, much quicker then old farts believe. But, many still believe handheld GPS cannot be used for autopilots, which is definitely wrong.

Markus, am I talking to Jekyll or Hide? Please read yor own 4 posts from page 1 before arguing why IOS is incapable.........

Read careful.
I did say it will come, or better it is virtually there.
I did not say it will be good, or officially certified.

Such use of multi purpose consumer devices is inevitable, as the power of the masses will simply do what can be done.
While there is benefit in case of emergencies, the huge crowd of let loose ragtag will give a sh*t on well based rules and regulations.
Not all coming is well, especially in the current Golden Calf Digital prayers age, which may well be an anti-christ thing.

Edited 5/13/2020 6:44:47 PM by MarkusM
jaho
j
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
I think the problem is solved, see. video.
Or am I wrong?

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Like the idea of lightning to serial- suspect that would cover the biggest population as more A/P hardware accept serial than wifi/bt? As earlier post, Garmin devices been doing this for years so provided SD could output via lightning to serial (iPad assumed here but same argument for other devices) should be easy change to plumb in iPad instead of Garmin. Bring it on!
BJS
B
Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)
Skyboy999 - 1/4/2022 2:32:52 PM
Like the idea of lightning to serial- suspect that would cover the biggest population as more A/P hardware accept serial than wifi/bt? As earlier post, Garmin devices been doing this for years so provided SD could output via lightning to serial (iPad assumed here but same argument for other devices) should be easy change to plumb in iPad instead of Garmin. Bring it on!

Alternatively BT output might be ok for dayVFR@Experimentals convenience as well, if Skydemon would only be capable to output via there?

Some autopilots experimental versions had internal Bluetooth modules once upon a time and were capable to do that, but - demand was so low they quit producing. Technology like GPS2IP.app on an iPhone and a BT2RS232 converter would do the trick today.

Edited 1/4/2022 4:21:48 PM by BJS
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search