Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Inserting an IAP/RNAV waypoint in route

Author
EHOW flyer
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I have to navigate to a certain IAP waypoint (often the case in Germany), I can lookup for this waypoint by the ‘Find’ function, when found, the chart will zoom in at the then also highlighted position (circle). Normally you can tick this found waypoint and some options will appear, like the option to ‘insert the waypoint in the route’. This is not possible with the normally hidden IAP waypoints, the workaround is to open the pilot log and to insert the waypoint before a present waypoint in the pilot log. Is this on purpose or a bug?
Edited 12/17/2018 1:01:37 PM by EHOW flyer
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Are you not finding the IAP waypoints are visible on the map, when you've got their associated airfield set as your destination and you've turned them on in mapping options?
EHOW flyer
EHOW flyer
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
No problem in finding the IAP waypoints Tim.

Having found the waypoint, I want to insert this in a route, as I normally do with other waypoints which are not part of a route. I think that these IAP waypoints are hidden for the ‘what’s here’ function and that that is the reason for not seeing the IAP wp in the ‘what’s here’ menu on tapping the found waypoint.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I'm trying to reproduce this. Planned a route to EDNY, made sure airways mode is switched on and I can see that (for example) ETREM is visible on the map, which is an IAP waypoint. Long-pressing on that waypoint shows it in the What's Here menu.

Perhaps you're in VFR mode (as opposed to airways mode) so those waypoints aren't actually showing on the map?

mrusk
mrusk
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/19/2018 3:42:26 PM
I'm trying to reproduce this. Planned a route to EDNY, made sure airways mode is switched on and I can see that (for example) ETREM is visible on the map, which is an IAP waypoint. Long-pressing on that waypoint shows it in the What's Here menu.

Perhaps you're in VFR mode (as opposed to airways mode) so those waypoints aren't actually showing on the map?

Hi Tim, I would like to pick up here. In Germany we have numbered RNP waypoints for the overlay routes to an airport. If you pick EDFM for example, you have the waypoints FM002 and FM001 on approach and FM003, FM004 and FM005 for the missed approach. The same applies to all other routes and other IFR airports. All waypoints are all named with the two last letters of the airport and three numbers.
In Sky Demon you can well search for them and they are shown with a yellow circle, but the rubberband cannot be attached to them. 
Since in IFR you often get a direct to such a waypoint it is nearly impossible to insert them into the route while flying. A great solution would be to show those waypoints on the map for the selected departure and destination airports so you can easily use them for on the fly routing. It would also help for initial flight planning. Another possible feature would be to load departure and arrival routes composed of these waypoints, but I would understand it might be too much work. For me that is the most missed feature for IFR flying with SD.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
If your map is set to Airways Mode and you've got such an IFR airport as your destination, you should see those numbered waypoints displayed on the map in Germany (I think). Could you check?
mrusk
mrusk
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/19/2022 9:32:24 AM
If your map is set to Airways Mode and you've got such an IFR airport as your destination, you should see those numbered waypoints displayed on the map in Germany (I think). Could you check?

Hi Tim. I rechecked this. Indeed the FAF/FAP waypoints do appear in that case but the numbered ones are not shown. For comparison here the situation in EDSB: RENBO and BITSU do appear but the numbered ones do not. They would also be helpful at the departure airport to enter the SID.

Edited 4/20/2022 5:28:20 PM by mrusk
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Ok, I think we must be omitting from the map due to their sheer quantity. Would another way to insert one into your route help? I am imagining you could bring up the Leg Properties for the leg you want to split, then we could show an option to insert a waypoint into that leg, which would allow you to select the numbered waypoint. Would that help?
mrusk
mrusk
Tim Dawson - 4/21/2022 10:03:01 AM
Ok, I think we must be omitting from the map due to their sheer quantity. Would another way to insert one into your route help? I am imagining you could bring up the Leg Properties for the leg you want to split, then we could show an option to insert a waypoint into that leg, which would allow you to select the numbered waypoint. Would that help?
Hi Tim, I was able to have a look onto this on my last IFR flight.
While in flight you can search for such a waypoint and the menu offers to insert it into the current route. The algorithm even picks the right route segment for the insertion. I was not aware of this feature which is absolutely sufficient for inflight editing since it is unlike the behaviour during flight planning, where it is not possible to select it or to add it to the route. 
So my wish would be more that the search dialog in planning mode behaves in a similar manner to that during flight.
Best regards
Martin

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search