Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

'Make Approach' - Join Crosswind?

Author
R
Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for all the recent improvements/updates. I was just wondering why this facility (Make Approach) does not include join 'Crosswind' as an option. (The SkyWay Code includes Crosswind join on page 100). 

Just to be very particular, it is also possible and reasonable to join 'Left Base' for a Right Hand circuit. As an example, on flying into Gloucestershire from Kemble for Rwy 27 RH circuit, possible/reasonable joins are Standard Overhead, Crosswind, Left Base - all of which I have been given on more than one occasion. (Downwind, Right Base and Long Final are not really feasible in this situation and I have never been asked to do them when joining from the south). The only way I can get a Left Base join set up is to say it is a left hand circuit, but this then puts the deadside on the wrong side (north) of the field and the circuit arrows are all then left hand arrows.

As I say the Left Base join for a right hand circuit may not be so common (though perfectly reasonable), but Crosswind join seems to be completely omitted as an option?

I stand to be corrected on all the above, but as I say it is based on personal experience of many flights into Glos from Kemble and/or the south.

Thanks again for such a brilliant product.

Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)Too Much Forum (906 reputation)
Rogerthedodger - 12/10/2018 6:40:59 PM
Thanks for all the recent improvements/updates. I was just wondering why this facility (Make Approach) does not include join 'Crosswind' as an option. (The SkyWay Code includes Crosswind join on page 100). 

Just to be very particular, it is also possible and reasonable to join 'Left Base' for a Right Hand circuit. As an example, on flying into Gloucestershire from Kemble for Rwy 27 RH circuit, possible/reasonable joins are Standard Overhead, Crosswind, Left Base - all of which I have been given on more than one occasion. (Downwind, Right Base and Long Final are not really feasible in this situation and I have never been asked to do them when joining from the south). The only way I can get a Left Base join set up is to say it is a left hand circuit, but this then puts the deadside on the wrong side (north) of the field and the circuit arrows are all then left hand arrows.

As I say the Left Base join for a right hand circuit may not be so common (though perfectly reasonable), but Crosswind join seems to be completely omitted as an option?

I stand to be corrected on all the above, but as I say it is based on personal experience of many flights into Glos from Kemble and/or the south.

Thanks again for such a brilliant product.

Just out of interest also, I notice that 'Downwind 45deg' is an SD option, though it is not included in the SkyWay Code, and personally I have never made such a join though it must be a join that others do otherwise it would bot be listed? Again, just further comment as to why maybe Downwind 45deg is an option but Crosswind is not - when taking SkyWay Code into account? Not a big deal - just trying to help improve the product.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
Isn't SkyWay Code a UK thing?

The joins offered in SkyDemon are designed to be the most commonly used throughout Europe. They're not intended to be fully comprehensive, or for that matter prescriptive. The standard overhead join offered for UK airfields is effectively a crosswind join, is it not?

dave_kent
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/11/2018 11:17:17 AM
Isn't SkyWay Code a UK thing?

The joins offered in SkyDemon are designed to be the most commonly used throughout Europe. They're not intended to be fully comprehensive, or for that matter prescriptive. The standard overhead join offered for UK airfields is effectively a crosswind join, is it not?

Due to the nature of the airfields I visit, I do a majority of my approaches crosswind without the overhead leg of the standard overhead, and I've never worked out what SD is doing so I just ignore it.  This is a genuine question, as the approach is a testing time and SD is the first thing to be jettisoned from my workload, so i've not had a chance to work it out: At what point/how would SD know I am skipping the first two steps of the overhead join? 
I always rigorously research the airfield procedures I am visiting, but it could be useful to have SD prompt me with the circuit height, noise areas,  etc.

Thank you
Dave

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
SkyDemon doesn't really monitor what you're doing to that extent. The ability to select a circuit and join in SkyDemon is only so it ends up being drawn on the map, with a reminder of circuit direction and height, all of which can help orientate yourself. Many people find this useful but there's no need to use it if you don't find it adds anything.
dave_kent
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/13/2018 10:53:07 AM
SkyDemon doesn't really monitor what you're doing to that extent. The ability to select a circuit and join in SkyDemon is only so it ends up being drawn on the map, with a reminder of circuit direction and height, all of which can help orientate yourself. Many people find this useful but there's no need to use it if you don't find it adds anything.

Thanks Tim - I think I was reading too much into it :-)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search