Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Controlling automated climb/descent profiles

Author
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was just trying out a flight from Redhill to LeTouquet to see how well SkyDemon coped with the stepped-climb required to remain clear of controlled airspace, and found that while I could control the climb to some extent, I couldn't get exactly what I expected without adding in a LOT of extra waypoints. The best I managed is shown below:

In particular, notice that the climb from 1400' to 2400' starts before Bough Beech not after it, thus causing the flight to enter CAS. Second, whereas I would like to step-climb (or even better, cruise-climb with SkyDemon suggesting a desired RoC in fpm) to remain just below CAS at all times, the actual profile created keeps me at 2400' all the way to LYD, then makes one long climb all the way up to FL054 (which, interestingly, is shown as 5400' despite the airspace being define as a flight level).

Am I doing something wrong, or is this something that isn't (yet) supported fully by SkyDemon?

Thanks,

T67M
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There's currently no way to define a cruise climb; it's either a climb or a descent. Cruise climbs at arbitrary FPM will be available in a future version of SkyDemon, but we don't know when.

To specify how a level change occurs (whether before a waypoint or after it) go to the properties for that leg (double-click it).

Which piece of airspace do you believe SkyDemon is telling you starts at an altitude whereas it actually starts at a FL?

Aussie Andy
Aussie Andy
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
I manage this by simply adding waypoints along the track at which I want to remember to climb.  Defining these points relative to the turning points makes it easy, e.g. if I wanted to climb at CPT 270/10 I would create a waypoint named like that in Skydemon, and in the aircraft's GPS (its in the panel so I can't upload but it is very quick, accurate and easy to add waypoints to the GPS by hand when named in this way) and then use this "turning point" as a prompt to remind me it's ok to climb, or I need to descend... works for me!
longfinals
longfinals
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim,

I have only recently started flying with SD on my iPad and am very pleased with it so far. I would like more control over climb and descent profiles so started searching. I came across this thread. Have you still got cruise climb/descent functionality in development - it is a while since this thread which suggested it was on its way at some point.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There has not been a lot of demand for different climb and descent profiles. While it's possible that we'll do the feature at some point, unless there is significant demand, we are better off not implementing it because no matter how powerful it is, it will only serve to make the aircraft editor even more intimidatingly complicated than it already is.
publicom
p
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
I would like to come back on this feature.

First of all: SD is great and probably the Program with the best price-value-relation I own. Also it still makes big steps to get even better. The option to use the iOS-App on Silicon Macs is fantastic and no longer to cope with the windows version for planning, is a relief.

Although in my opinion climb and descent planning is neglected. Its as important as route planning, but it seems to doesn't matter.

It should be possible to define a climb or descent rate any specific leg. Not for the whole aircraft and thats it.

Also it would be helpful to see this rates as well as the planed Altitude in Virtual Radar At least if the User enables this Option. In the windows GUI its standard to see at least the Altitude in the info box (Picture 1). In iOS its hidden behind the leg name which I found only by chance, as the icon > for submenu is missing (Picture 2).

For a useful climb and descent planning it's also necessary to define, where the altitude change has to start and/or end (TOC, TOD i. e.). At present this can only be influenced with the two options „Change level before this leg starts“ or „Start changing level when this leg starts“. For this reason it is necessary to set a lot of waypoints, which are not actually waypoints. This again makes it confusing and will create a unnecessary inflated flightplan.

P. S. Uploading Pictures seems not to work.

Edited 2/14/2023 4:15:05 PM by publicom
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Given it has been over ten years since there was last any activity on this thread, I hope you can see why this kind of involved vertical planning is not currently anywhere near our development list.
publicom
p
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/15/2023 10:17:40 AM
Given it has been over ten years since there was last any activity on this thread, I hope you can see why this kind of involved vertical planning is not currently anywhere near our development list.

Or it's because people have gotten used to their suggestions being rejected in this forum anyway.

AM22
AM22
Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)
I agree with the other pilots!
When planning flights over different altitudes, it is sometimes very difficult to get the program to set the TOD, TOC, BOC and BOD points correctly.
Most of the time you try to set intermediate points in the route and shift the heights and waypoints until it fits.
At the latest when a flight plan is generated from the route planning or you shift your route into another system (Dynon or Garmin) for your autopilot, you realize how nonsensical this procedure actually is and you have to remove manually all unnecessary points.
Just give it a try and plan a flight across northern Italy and always try to fly as high as possible under airspace "D" and "C". It will be a real job!
My suggestion would be to make these points (TOD, TOC, BOD and BOC) movable within the Virtual Radar screen with the mouse or touch.
If the points can be moved separately, the appropriate climb or sink rate automatically results.
It would also be possible to color this climb or descent line in red (in the virtual radar) as soon as the rates exceed the capabilities of the set aircraft.
The programming effort should be manageable and would improve flight planing enormously.
Nevertheless, thank you very much for your great program! I love SkyDemon!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search