Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Android - suggestion of a SkyDemon feature, to be able to connect an external GPS (GLO) via...

Android - suggestion of a SkyDemon feature, to be able to connect an...
Author
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello

SkyDemon is awesome and I'm glad to have such a tool available.

After using it for (more) than two years for VFR flight planning and execution,
I'd have a few suggestions and/or feature requests.
Here is one of these:‌
‌‌
I've bought Garmin GLO, which has been discussed many times through this forum and Internet.

To run it, it took me a while to figure out what is indeed writing in this link (and some others)L
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/1BEq2yXIPj5SdcTfdXrdd6

Basically, a need to use an external broker application, which talks via BT to the device (GLO),
and mocks itself up as a GPS source for the Android device.

Previously, to do so, I had to run the Garmin Pilot App to actually achive the same,
which was definitelly not what I want to do (more so while flying and running SkyDemon to do so).

Unfortunately, even the middle-man App (Bluetooth GPS Provider) has a drawback for my use,
which is, that to check the status I yet have to switch between apps
(not pleasant at all while flying).

Would it be possible to specifically implement a feature to SkyDemon, to open a BT channel directly to a device (GLO),
and command it properly (command msg to switch to 10Hz update),
and then read and parse the incoming NMEA messages
(GLO sends: once per second the generic update (satelite health and such) and ten times per second the PVT values,
also once per minute the firmware version, basicaly a hearthbeat; there is also the battery health status somewhere).

I do understand that this is a very platform dependent (and know the hell of developing anything to work on multiple Android versions),
yet as the GPS is a crucial piece of equipment for SkyDemon,
I would see that effort to actually pay off.

As a second thing (and I will place it under another post, not to mix things, but repeat here for completeness),
a feature for SkyDemon to log all the raw incoming NMEA data to a file (without any filters).

thank you,
adam
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Sorry, not a chance. Android's complete failure to properly support Bluetooth GPS providers natively isn't something we can afford to spend our software development resources rectifying. Most people using Android are happy to use the internal GPS which is nearly always present on such devices. Others use the various mock GPS providers as you say, and do not appear to need to switch apps to check status.
Adam N
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Fair answer. Thank you for responding.
The Mock GPS Provider is a way forward, no need for SD to implement it "again", now I see it.
I have solved my requirement for a raw 10Hz logging‌ from GLO by using a notebook computer with a specific SW, along with a tablet (which runs the original SD for navigation).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search