SkyDemon Forums

Android - suggestion of a SkyDemon feature, to be able to connect an external GPS (GLO) via Bluetooth directly

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic24256.aspx

By ane - 8/25/2017 10:12:44 AM

Hello

SkyDemon is awesome and I'm glad to have such a tool available.

After using it for (more) than two years for VFR flight planning and execution,
I'd have a few suggestions and/or feature requests.
Here is one of these:‌
‌‌
I've bought Garmin GLO, which has been discussed many times through this forum and Internet.

To run it, it took me a while to figure out what is indeed writing in this link (and some others)L
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/1BEq2yXIPj5SdcTfdXrdd6

Basically, a need to use an external broker application, which talks via BT to the device (GLO),
and mocks itself up as a GPS source for the Android device.

Previously, to do so, I had to run the Garmin Pilot App to actually achive the same,
which was definitelly not what I want to do (more so while flying and running SkyDemon to do so).

Unfortunately, even the middle-man App (Bluetooth GPS Provider) has a drawback for my use,
which is, that to check the status I yet have to switch between apps
(not pleasant at all while flying).

Would it be possible to specifically implement a feature to SkyDemon, to open a BT channel directly to a device (GLO),
and command it properly (command msg to switch to 10Hz update),
and then read and parse the incoming NMEA messages
(GLO sends: once per second the generic update (satelite health and such) and ten times per second the PVT values,
also once per minute the firmware version, basicaly a hearthbeat; there is also the battery health status somewhere).

I do understand that this is a very platform dependent (and know the hell of developing anything to work on multiple Android versions),
yet as the GPS is a crucial piece of equipment for SkyDemon,
I would see that effort to actually pay off.

As a second thing (and I will place it under another post, not to mix things, but repeat here for completeness),
a feature for SkyDemon to log all the raw incoming NMEA data to a file (without any filters).

thank you,
adam
By ane - 8/30/2017 1:57:03 PM

Fair answer. Thank you for responding.
The Mock GPS Provider is a way forward, no need for SD to implement it "again", now I see it.
I have solved my requirement for a raw 10Hz logging‌ from GLO by using a notebook computer with a specific SW, along with a tablet (which runs the original SD for navigation).