Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Garmin GDL39 Integration

Author
y
Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

First of all - love the software, been using for 2 years now!

Just got a GDL 39 3D and currently forced to use Garmin Pilot‌ to make operate the device. However disappointingly I can't export logs from this (and generally is expensive and not as good as SD....obvs). Using it for traffic info is the primary purpose but I had really hoped to get more accurate GPS data into my logs.

Is there any chance that the traffic info (ADSB-In) and more importantly the GPS information ‌‌from a GDL 39 could be integrated with an android/iOS device running SD? Presumably over the Bluetooth connection. I've already resorted to bodging a cable and logging NMEA183 data using a Raspberry Pi but it seems like a waste of what is actually quite nice hardware (give Garmin some dues...).

TIA

J‌‌‌‌
‌‌‌‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
No. Garmin do not wish to work with us to support that device (or any of their devices) with SkyDemon as they want to force people into using their own app.

There are othe‌r traffic-receiving devices available, most of which are compatible with SkyDemon.‌
yappmeister
y
Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/26/2017 2:45:34 PM
No. Garmin do not wish to work with us to support that device (or any of their devices) with SkyDemon as they want to force people into using their own app.

There are othe‌r traffic-receiving devices available, most of which are compatible with SkyDemon.‌

All perfectly fair. Having worked with Garmin before I would expect no less....

So if you were to suggest a unit to pair with Sky Demon to give the most accurate GPS logging capability and include traffic alerts, what would you recommend?
‌‌‌‌‌‌‌
TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
yappmeister - 8/1/2017 8:56:20 AM

So if you were to suggest a unit to pair with Sky Demon to give the most accurate GPS logging capability and include traffic alerts, what would you recommend?
‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

This here is the latest and cheapest solution, but without built in GPS so you have to rely on your tablet/phone built in GPS: ‌https://flywithscout.com

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
TouchTheSky - 8/1/2017 2:42:27 PM
yappmeister - 8/1/2017 8:56:20 AM

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

This here is the latest and cheapest solution, but without built in GPS so you have to rely on your tablet/phone built in GPS: ‌https://flywithscout.com

Quick note to my last comment: I assume ForeFlight Scout uses GDL90 but according to one of Tim's earlier posts, SD currently expects a GDL90 compatible device to provide GPS data which Scout does not so I am afraid it won't work at this point in time with SD. Therefore the only low cost solution seems to be PilotAware. Maybe Tim can provide a list of tested devices ...

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
https://www.uavionix.com/products/skyecho/

Th‌at device has its own power supply, does both ADS/B in and out and is fully compatible with SkyDemon.‌
TouchTheSky
T
Tim Dawson - 8/2/2017 10:07:55 AM

Th‌at device has its own power supply, does both ADS/B in and out and is fully compatible with SkyDemon.‌

But not approved for other countries in Europe yet:
"‌Portable ADS-B transmit capability is currently only approved for use in the United Kingdom under CAP 1391."

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
TouchTheSky - 8/2/2017 12:29:03 PM

But not approved for other countries in Europe yet:
"‌Portable ADS-B transmit capability is currently only approved for use in the United Kingdom under CAP 1391."

And even within the UK, only in aircraft which do NOT have a Mode S transponder.

yappmeister
y
Thanks! I'll have a look through it's manuals and see if it fulfils all my requirements.
J‌
Pigei
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search