Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD crashes with PilotAware and lots of traffic

Author
Mike McPherson
Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
And managed to get one while "flying"

Edited 6/27/2017 3:47:34 PM by Mike McPherson
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
The screenshot from when planning is presumably irrelevant since all your test cases are when flying, is that correct?

You're seeing the error because SkyDemon is attempting to contact our server but internet connectivity isn't up to it. We only try to contact our server when iOS tells us an internet connection is available. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere which means it still uses 3g to attempt to access the internet when you're connected to a wifi hotspot that doesn't provide its own internet? I read that some people have tried to do this using PilotAware. ‌‌
Mike McPherson
Mike McPherson
Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/28/2017 11:44:26 AM
The screenshot from when planning is presumably irrelevant since all your test cases are when flying, is that correct?

You're seeing the error because SkyDemon is attempting to contact our server but internet connectivity isn't up to it. We only try to contact our server when iOS tells us an internet connection is available. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere which means it still uses 3g to attempt to access the internet when you're connected to a wifi hotspot that doesn't provide its own internet? I read that some people have tried to do this using PilotAware. ‌‌

you may have put your finger on it
t‌est cases are when flying - correct
I‌ have a SIM card in the iPad so maybe it's sneakily trying to use that Smile
w‌ould also explain the amount of credit I got through this month
s‌o now SIM in flight mode

h‌owever, I did check "Live Data when Planning"
I‌ would have expected that to mean "only connect when planning, not when flying"‌
o‌r are you saying you will check for updates whenever there's an internet connection?

c‌heers‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
We only check for updates when there's an internet connection AND you're not flying (unless you've ticked that last option).

Presumably you were actually flying, and not just in Go Flying mode but sat on the ground? ‌‌
Mike McPherson
Mike McPherson
Tim Dawson - 6/28/2017 2:43:08 PM
We only check for updates when there's an internet connection AND you're not flying (unless you've ticked that last option).

Presumably you were actually flying, and not just in Go Flying mode but sat on the ground? ‌‌

when I got the original error (crashing) I was actually flying
f‌or testing I was sat on the ground but had clicked go flying

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I'm afraid I do not have an answer for you. If SkyDemon is actually crashing, though, please contact customer support and they'll advise you on how to extract crash logs from your device to send to us for analysis.
Ian Melville
I
Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/28/2017 2:43:08 PM

I get it in both 'Live Data when Planning' and 'Live Data when Planning and flying'. I would expect to get it on the later, not both.

B‌TW it is possible to use the 3G and PAW connections concurrently if you have a 3G signal. Check the PAW forums for info‌.

SD V‌ersion 3.8.1.72

Edited 7/6/2017 11:02:24 AM by Ian Melville
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
This issue is because the current PilotAware software advertises to iOS that it provides an internet connection, and therefore SkyDemon tries to use it. We try to use it when you're in Go Flying mode but when you're still on the ground, so not actually flying yet. We can't really solve it from our side without changing this behaviour, which we are not willing to do given the usefulness of getting the latest live data as you taxi, filing flightplans while rolling etc.
Ian Melville
I
Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)
Understood, is Lee aware of this?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Yes, there's a thread about it on his forum I believe.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search