Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

METAR info in approach when AD has not own METAR

Author
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
SD provides a series of useful information in the "approach"‌‌ page of the AD. Amongst these the METAR info and wind info for each runway....except when there the AD has no own METAR. Would it not be a good idea to have the METAR of the nearest station in that case ?
I know that the conditions will ‌not be same, but they can be epxected to be similar no ?
The page could highlight that the information  is coming from a nearby METAR station to fully inform the users.

Any feedback on this is welcome.
J‌‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I thought we did that already. Can you confirm exactly which user interface you're looking at when you say "approach page"? I think when you bring up an airfield in the Airfields tab, which is where you get access to its TAF/METAR, we show nearby ones if there isn't one for the airfield itself.
jfw
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/22/2017 2:50:53 PM
I thought we did that already. Can you confirm exactly which user interface you're looking at when you say "approach page"? I think when you bring up an airfield in the Airfields tab, which is where you get access to its TAF/METAR, we show nearby ones if there isn't one for the airfield itself.

From the main meny - Airfields - select airfield (note: there you have the metar of the nearby station) - Approach information (there you do not have any meteo information contrary to airfields with a METAR "on site")
Hope this clarifies‌

Br,
J‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Ah, thanks. In the Approach Information we don't really show the whole METAR, we just show the surface wind and apply it to each runway to get head/tail/crosswind information for the pilot. We don't think it's appropriate to perform those specific calculations with the METAR from another airfield nearby.
jfw
jfw
Tim Dawson - 6/26/2017 9:00:51 AM
Ah, thanks. In the Approach Information we don't really show the whole METAR, we just show the surface wind and apply it to each runway to get head/tail/crosswind information for the pilot. We don't think it's appropriate to perform those specific calculations with the METAR from another airfield nearby.

Hello Tim,
While I think that such information is better than no information at all, I nevertheless understand your point.
Would it be be possible to add the METAR  anyway on that page (as it is the case for AD with METAR) but without the surface info per runway (head/tail/cross) which I understand you do not wish to include to avoid providing incorrect and thus inappropriate information ?‌‌

Other point: I have noticed that the information is of head/tail/cross wind is not provided for all AD with METAR. Eg I see it for EBOS, ELLX, EBFN  but not for EBAW, EBBR... is there a minimum condition for providing this info ?
‌ ‌

Edited 6/27/2017 8:40:39 AM by jfw
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I don't understand why you would want the METAR displayed on the Approach Information page. If you back up to the Airfield page there is a separate button to get to the METAR. Approach Information is really designed to give you the circuits, runway information and frequencies necessary to make an approach and weather is beyond its scope. With the exception of the runway tail/head/crosswind calculations.

I get those calculations for EBAW but not for EBBR. Looking at the code it's because we only bother showing them if they're at least 5 knots.‌
jfw
jfw
Tim Dawson - 6/27/2017 2:24:13 PM
I don't understand why you would want the METAR displayed on the Approach Information page. If you back up to the Airfield page there is a separate button to get to the METAR. Approach Information is really designed to give you the circuits, runway information and frequencies necessary to make an approach and weather is beyond its scope. With the exception of the runway tail/head/crosswind calculations.

I get those calculations for EBAW but not for EBBR. Looking at the code it's because we only bother showing them if they're at least 5 knots.‌

Thanks for your reply and clarifications !

Br,
J‌‌‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search