Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Alternatives

Author
Steve8776
Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)Too Much Forum (523 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Whilst Skydemon allows for aternatives it would be useful to be able to plan primary I.e via zone transit and secondary if transit isn't approved allowing to switch to the secondary routing quickly.

Also when reversing a route, remove the alternative airfield.
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
You can easily copy the whole route to a different name and edit it for the alternative routing.
In flight you can load the alternative route quite easily and quickly.

After reversing a route, it's just two taps in the pilot log to remove the former alternate...

adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
I follow the approach mentioned by Gerhard, but it would be nice to be able to have two 'routes' in the same route file, and be able to select which one you are going to follow while flying.

I‌'ve always loaded the route with the CAS transit in it, and planned to open the other one while still in 'Go Flying' mode. I assume this is possible? Fortunately, I'm yet to be refused a CAS transit when I've planned one in this way!

A‌ndy
‌‌‌
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
I think, two routes in one route file make things too complicated.

Where is the limit in lateral distance between the two parts of the route?

I.e., if one gets no clearance through northern Italy military restricted areas, the diversion can be easily 50 NM away.

SD would have to hold two pilot logs, two fuel calculations, two whatever else in the background.

I' afraid they would have to change the whole data structures...(?)

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Like Gerhard says, it's too complicated.

This is a request that comes up maybe on‌ce per year or something. We could do it, of course, but it's one of those things that would inevitably make the product more complicated to use than we are happy with. We make it easy enough to plan around something and then take a shortcut straight through it if necessary (using direct routing tools) and also there's the option of storing multiple flights and opening an alternative one.‌
guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/26/2017 9:03:49 AM

This is a request that comes up maybe on‌ce per year or something. We could do it, of course, but it's one of those things that would inevitably make the product more complicated to use than we are happy with. We make it easy enough to plan around something and then take a shortcut straight through it if necessary (using direct routing tools) and also there's the option of storing multiple flights and opening an alternative one.‌

I agree to keep it as it is. Really no problem to plan two routes and change if necessary, or to use the "direct to" option when appropriate.

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/26/2017 9:03:49 AM

I once thought alternate routes was a good idea - until I discovered that routing around airspace and then using SkyDemon's route-direct/shortcut feature was easier to use both during planning and in flight. The only concern I have is that I'm not sure the direct route will show all NOTAMs if it is a lot shorter than the planned route - maybe Tim can explain how the NOTAMs are cached.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
SkyDemon knows all NOTAMs so it's fine to reroute in flight and your NOTAM briefing will be updated.

Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/28/2017 11:54:44 AM
SkyDemon knows all NOTAMs so it's fine to reroute in flight and your NOTAM briefing will be updated.

By "all", do you mean all the NOTAMs for the countries that are downloaded charts for?  

‌‌e.g. I have all Western Europe charts downloaded.  I might plan to fly from London to Bern direct through Paris airspace but need to divert enroute through Belgium and Germany airspace due to an unforecasted weather system developing over northern France - Would it have downloaded Belgian and German NOTAMs?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Not necessarily; NOTAM are downloaded for flight information regions your planned route passes through, and also regions you have looked at recently on the map.

For such a massive diversion (through different countries) there is a chan‌‌ce SkyDemon wouldn't have the NOTAMs. That would be obvious, though, as you'd get either an empty list or a warning that the NOTAM were out of date.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search