Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

a5 printing of briefing pack - issue?

Author
Fleagle
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone else print the briefing pack on A5 paper? (no i don't mean 2 up on A4)- I mean genuine a5 paper.)

‌When I try doing this although the PDF it generates looks great on the iPhone/ipad preview  (where you then select the air print printer),the physical print doesn't start until a third down the paper so chops all the bottom off your plog, weather, notams or charts etc etc. 
‌ 
‌I've tried all the appropriate printer settings for a5 and my printer has the latest drivers/firmware. I have no problem printing a5 from any other app where supported or indeed a PC or MAC -it's  just the SD app that throws roughly a third of the page before starting printing. 

‌I wondered if extraneous  postscript LF or similar codes were being thrown to the printer that the screen PDF render ignores (hence it looks fine on iPhone/ipad SCREEN) but the printer executes faithfully. No amount of me playing with settings has resolved this.

‌thanks

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The way the briefing pack works is to generate a PDF and then present it, leaving the printing up to whatever app is showing the PDF. That is iOS itself on iOS, and whatever PDF reader you've chosen to use on Android.

I am not aware of any special codes we would send to any printer (in fact I'm certain there aren't any) because as I mentioned, we simply generate a PDF. I therefore cannot explain what you are seeing.
Fleagle
Fleagle
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Thanks for the suggestions.
‌Exporting the pdf from SD to Adobe Acrobat for iOS - still the same issue when printed directly from Adobe app via AirPrint - printing doesn't start until approx a third down the A5 paper.

‌If I email myself the briefing PDF from iOS and print from a desktop machine it all works fine. So at least I have a way around the problem - just a shame of losing the convenience of AirPrint and having to go fire up my desktop to print stuff off.

‌It would be interesting to know if anyone has this problem or is it peculiar to my hardware/set up? - surely I'm not the only person in the SD universe using SD to print plogs etc on A5?  ;-)

Fleagle
Fleagle
Done some more investigation as I hated the idea of having to email myself the  Brief and then get my desktop PC up and running just to print it out.
‌There is a third party iOS app - Printer Pro which "allegedly" bypasses AirPrint and uses it's own print services software. When I export the Briefing PDF from SD to this app, it prints out just fine - phew!

‌So the problem may seem to be either iOS print services (but as I said I have other apps that print A5 fine via AirPrint) or some how when SD calls the iOS create PDF service,  AirPrint doesn't like something it finds.
Edited 3/6/2017 5:11:51 PM by Fleagle
piperpa28
p
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi, I am using a Canon CP110 Printer. There is no need of installing another App as long as you install the App e.g. in my case for Canon. When the briefing pack is opened send it to the canon app and everything will become fine. Use A5 as the TO.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search