Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Timeticks

Author
MarcLoncke
Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I‌ would like to ask if there is a possibility to add "TimeTicks" to a (all) route(s).
W‌ith TimeTicks I refer to what we do on physical charts is draw time lines every so many minutes (like every 5min, or 6 min) to follow our progress (time wise) along a route‌.
T‌imeticks are ground speed related and maybe not very usefull in flight but would certainly be usefull in planning mode.

M‌aybe an option to turn them on or off and also an option to set the time intervals in minutes would be very ‌usefull when planning a flight, these timeticks could then be easily transfered onto a physical flight map/chart.

T‌hanx, and keep up the impressive work you all deliver‌.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
An interesting suggestion, what is the use of these ticks please, in the contact of an electronic aid to flight planning? Especially if they would not be visible in navigation mode?

Thanks‌‌
MarcLoncke
MarcLoncke
Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)Too Much Forum (276 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/16/2017 10:40:34 AM
An interesting suggestion, what is the use of these ticks please, in the contact of an electronic aid to flight planning? Especially if they would not be visible in navigation mode?

Thanks‌‌

Tim,

T‌hanx for the fast answer.‌

A‌s an instructor we teach students to navigate with real maps/charts but most of them are pre-calculating their navigation with skydemon (who is still doing these calculations by wind triangle if we can have skydemon doing it faster and much more precise?)
A‌fter they pass the final practical exam and have their license they all use skydemon anyway, but during flight training students are not allowed to use skydemon in flight, so only for pre-flight calculation and printing pilot logs.
P‌oint is that they would be able to print out maps of their navigations with skydemon and still have the same result as if they would have drawn them themself on a real map (as a student).

W‌e use timeticks on physical maps/charts to follow our progress in time. Lets say I fly from A to B and my total flight will be (calculated with skydemon) 30min. Then we put timeticks on our map (small lines transverse on our drawn ground vector) lets say every 2min, so this route would have 14 timeticks between A and B, timetick number 15 is then the destination. This allows us to check chrono time with the marked ticks on the map, allowing us to check our progress (in time) ‌along our route. This way we know if our real groundspeed is different to the one calculated and gives the student (or pilot not using skydemon in flight) the possibility to correct his enroute time or TAS to mach the real groundspeed.

I‌f Skydemon would be able to set these timeticks out on the route then printing this route would give us an exact copy of what we would have drawn on a real map.‌

T‌his could maybe be an option in flying mode as well, but as you then have your timeline in front of your aircraft showing your position in xmin the timeticks would have to be update realtime matching the variable groundspeed and realtime timeline. Still this could give the pilot an indication of progress along the route.

B‌est regards,
M‌arc‌

Edited 2/16/2017 12:22:24 PM by MarcLoncke
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Just a slight suggestion to the suggestion - Some places/people teach 10nm markers rather than minutes, so would probably be wise to be able to select between the two.

I think one advantage would be a clear idea of scale and improved situational awareness. Paper charts are at a constant zoom, whereas SD can zoom in and out and therefore can be more difficult to assess scale/distance between points at a glance that aren't within range of the white track line.
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
(Assuming you mean adding little perpendicular lines/marks on the magenta course line)
MarcLoncke
MarcLoncke
Yes, adding little perpendicular lines/marks on the magenta course line.
A‌nd, indeed, would be great if one could also have the option to select distance instead of time.

I‌ always use SD to prepare my navigation but use maps, chrono and pilots logs to navigate like we teach our students.
C‌ould also be an improvement to those who can't use SD in flight.

‌‌‌
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
For what it's worth, when I was learning to fly, more years ago than I care to remember and when GPS was the stuff of science fiction, my instructor recommended that I put "time-ticks" on my chart at, or adjacent to, or abeam geographical features that could be readily identified from the air, rather than at regular time intervals, because placing them at regular time intervals inevitably meant that a significant proportion of them ended up in the "middle of nowhere" making it difficult to know when you had arrived at them. I certainly found that it made navigation easier as a result.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Thank you Marc very much for your enhanced explanation. I look forward to hearing comments from others.

My first inst‌‌inct is that this would be a retrograde step. It's adding a feature which only benefits somebody who is using stopwatch and compass style navigation, whereas if somebody is using SkyDemon they have already made the decision to move forward with GPS style navigation. That combined with the fact there is unlikely to be a consensus on the frequency of the ticks (or even whether they should be distance or time markers) makes me think it will over-complicate the product when most people are very happy with the way it works.

As always I reserve the right to change my mind if it becomes clear that lots of people want this.‌

topgun9237
t
Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/20/2017 10:28:35 AM
Thank you Marc very much for your enhanced explanation. I look forward to hearing comments from others.

My first inst‌‌inct is that this would be a retrograde step. It's adding a feature which only benefits somebody who is using stopwatch and compass style navigation, whereas if somebody is using SkyDemon they have already made the decision to move forward with GPS style navigation. That combined with the fact there is unlikely to be a consensus on the frequency of the ticks (or even whether they should be distance or time markers) makes me think it will over-complicate the product when most people are very happy with the way it works.

As always I reserve the right to change my mind if it becomes clear that lots of people want this.‌
i agree with marc  is there an update coming soon for placing timeticks in the future on SD

Edited 7/5/2017 10:44:34 AM by topgun9237
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search