Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Traffic Verbal Advice

Author
t
Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What about adding verbal traffic advice??

Many of us are feeding traffic information into SkyDemon now. The solution I use already provides verbal advice to help keep you looking out rather than having to keep a close eye on the navigation screen before looking out for traffic.

The issues with that are that the audio quality of the traffic device is not so good (sadly), and it is another device feeding into the intercom / headset.

It would be a much neater solution if all my warnings, and verbal advices came from a single source, SkyDemon itself. Also coming from SkyDemon on the iPad I use, the audio will be far better quality, cleaner and no hiss.

It could be selectable on and off, along with other warnings, and even configurable as to units of distance described (e.g miles versus km etc.)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Yes, this will happen in SkyDemon. Possibly even this year.
the_doc
t
Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/3/2017 11:14:01 AM
Yes, this will happen in SkyDemon. Possibly even this year.

That would be great Tim. The solution I use to deliver traffic is a fantastic piece of hardware & software, but sadly the audio quality is poor, not a fault of the developers but more the hardware solution being used.

‌To be able to run all audio through SkyDemon would be fantastic. I am really looking forward to seeing this feature in due course.

Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)
the_doc - 2/2/2017 11:04:38 PM
What about adding verbal traffic advice??Many of us are feeding traffic information into SkyDemon now. The solution I use already provides verbal advice to help keep you looking out rather than having to keep a close eye on the navigation screen before looking out for traffic. The issues with that are that the audio quality of the traffic device is not so good (sadly), and it is another device feeding into the intercom / headset.It would be a much neater solution if all my warnings, and verbal advices came from a single source, SkyDemon itself. Also coming from SkyDemon on the iPad I use, the audio will be far better quality, cleaner and no hiss.It could be selectable on and off, along with other warnings, and even configurable as to units of distance described (e.g miles versus km etc.)

Just to confirm my situation as best I can and to get advice in case I am not already making best use of SD..... and to ensure I understand wht might be coming down the line in SD?

I‌ fly an Ikarus C42 and have PilotAware (PAW) on the coaming just behind the dash/in front of the screen. I have SD running on a 8inch Android tablet fitted into a kneeboard with my checklists/flying support material etc. PAW is linked to SD for traffic and GPS via 'FLARM'. I am aware that SD produces audio warnings for eg entering ATZ etc. Also a key feature and recommended practice for PAW is to connect the audio alerts for traffic. I have Bose A20 headset with a 3.5mm audio aux input. Therefore currently I connect PAW audio to my Bose headset via a trailing 3.2mm lead. Therefore I have no audio connection to Android tablet running SD.

I‌ would envisage a setup where all audio alerts - including those I currently get via direct connection to PAW - actually come via an audio lead connected to my Android tablet running SD. ‌I perceive the benefits to be 1) I get all audio alerts coming together from one source - SD. This includes things like traffic alerts and also things like warnings on entering ATZ etc. 2) I have a shorter / more elegant connection as SD is sitting on my knee whereas PAW is a long trailing lead up to the coaming. There is no need for a long trailing lead as my headset connection to ‌‌ SD would only require a lead from about my chest (for a Bose A20) to my knee which could be kept neat and discrete. 3) I imagine I would be far less likely to get/create audio interference between SD and my headset as opposed to PAW and my headset.

A‌s I say - just trying to ensure I have understood the situation - and if so, confirmation that this is what SD are planning in a future release. Many thanks, and apologies if I have got things wrong and confused. PS - Love SD and appreciate the quality and care you have put into the product.‌

‌‌

‌‌‌

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Rogerthedodger - 3/8/2017 3:31:11 PM
the_doc - 2/2/2017 11:04:38 PM
What about adding verbal traffic advice??Many of us are feeding traffic information into SkyDemon now. The solution I use already provides verbal advice to help keep you looking out rather than having to keep a close eye on the navigation screen before looking out for traffic. The issues with that are that the audio quality of the traffic device is not so good (sadly), and it is another device feeding into the intercom / headset.It would be a much neater solution if all my warnings, and verbal advices came from a single source, SkyDemon itself. Also coming from SkyDemon on the iPad I use, the audio will be far better quality, cleaner and no hiss.It could be selectable on and off, along with other warnings, and even configurable as to units of distance described (e.g miles versus km etc.)

Just to confirm my situation as best I can and to get advice in case I am not already making best use of SD..... and to ensure I understand wht might be coming down the line in SD?

I‌ fly an Ikarus C42 and have PilotAware (PAW) on the coaming just behind the dash/in front of the screen. I have SD running on a 8inch Android tablet fitted into a kneeboard with my checklists/flying support material etc. PAW is linked to SD for traffic and GPS via 'FLARM'. I am aware that SD produces audio warnings for eg entering ATZ etc. Also a key feature and recommended practice for PAW is to connect the audio alerts for traffic. I have Bose A20 headset with a 3.5mm audio aux input. Therefore currently I connect PAW audio to my Bose headset via a trailing 3.2mm lead. Therefore I have no audio connection to Android tablet running SD.

I‌ would envisage a setup where all audio alerts - including those I currently get via direct connection to PAW - actually come via an audio lead connected to my Android tablet running SD. ‌I perceive the benefits to be 1) I get all audio alerts coming together from one source - SD. This includes things like traffic alerts and also things like warnings on entering ATZ etc. 2) I have a shorter / more elegant connection as SD is sitting on my knee whereas PAW is a long trailing lead up to the coaming. There is no need for a long trailing lead as my headset connection to ‌‌ SD would only require a lead from about my chest (for a Bose A20) to my knee which could be kept neat and discrete. 3) I imagine I would be far less likely to get/create audio interference between SD and my headset as opposed to PAW and my headset.

A‌s I say - just trying to ensure I have understood the situation - and if so, confirmation that this is what SD are planning in a future release. Many thanks, and apologies if I have got things wrong and confused. PS - Love SD and appreciate the quality and care you have put into the product.‌

‌‌

‌‌‌

I do find the audio quality from the. Pilot Aware is actually very good of you take care with the installation, but it is FAR too wordy and ponderous: "Traffic....three o'clock... one thousand... six hundred... feet below" is too long, delivered too slowly, and the difference between 600' and 1,600' is nearly always irrelevant.

‌‌When SkyDemon produce an audio output, can you please consider something simpler, such as "Traffic, 3 o'clock slightly above descending”, and with a reasonably fast cadence.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
If and when we implement the feature, it will be done extremely well. It ought to sound just like a LARS controller in the UK.
mbenoit
mbenoit
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hello Tim,
‌This will then be extremely nice: I'm running SD for many years now, and enjoy the high level of additionnal security level provided by your solution. I have yesterday received the PilotAware device and install/test it successfully with SD. So far, sound alerts are sent from myIpad / SD through bluetooth communication to my Bose A20. this has at least several advantages:
‌- No annoying wires running arround.
‌- great sound quality (if I connect my Ipad to the Bose A20 with a hard wire, sound is great as well, but if I connect the Ipad to the Intercom, sound quality moved to very poor level)
‌- Passengers doesn't heard all the alert messages from SD.
‌BTW, I found SD/PilotAware (Tim/Lee) partnership in an other threat in March last year very refreshing and promising on how talented people can influence the General Aviation conservative world: Congratulation to both !
Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
mbenoit - 3/15/2017 6:12:10 AM
if I connect the Ipad to the Intercom, sound quality moved to very poor level

Have you tried using a ground loop isolater?

mbenoit
mbenoit
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Paul_Sengupta - 4/15/2017 11:34:30 AM
mbenoit - 3/15/2017 6:12:10 AM
if I connect the Ipad to the Intercom, sound quality moved to very poor level

Have you tried using a ground loop isolater?

Good idea... and bring my though toward an other solution: connecting pilot aware audio output to a bluetooth transceiver (30USD), power supplied from the spare USB port. Then, I have linked Pilot aware with my A20 Bose headset. Tried it today and great sound now! Thanks...
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search