Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Problem with missing city names and low detail map in general in Switzerland

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you want the ICAO chart, then I would suggest using it. I hope it is clear why we cannot take somebody else's chart and copy all the villages from it, and apply that to our 500k zoom level. Villages are not aeronautical data and there are many charts out there in use other than the ICAO 500k one.

In nearly every other country, if ATC want you to report somewhere o‌r relative to somewhere, they will use a VRP. That's what VRPs are for.‌

s1l3ntgl1d3r
s
Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)Too Much Forum (613 reputation)
Hi Tim and all

Thank you for keeping this thread alive and taking the time to answer my question. I now have almost 45hrs and got to fly my first solo cross country flight. Here in Switzerland we all train to fly with the Standard ICAO Map, and iPads and moving maps are usually not allowed in basic training, what you do once you have a license is your thing but I always speak to more experienced pilots here and show them the capabilities of SD and they are all really interested. For example the NOTAM system in SD is really cool, even though i am not allowed to use SD in the Air i use SD to "check" my Flightplan and the NOTAM System is just great to visualize active Restricted Zones or Danger Areas. But usually pilots come back to me after trying SD in the Air all with the same feedback, the map is not detailed enough for Swiss Standards, and they all go to Jeppesen, I have tried that product as well but I find SD much better and with a bigger scope of functions. The flight prep is much much better on SD, but the map in Jeppesen kicks some you know what.

I have heard that some Swiss users tried to contact you in this regards, offering help but did not get any feedback. I am pretty sure that adding a few important city names can not be so difficult. I am now adding special waypoints to my map manually but this is not really a solution in my opinion.

Regards

Max

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
I am from Austria and haven't flown in Switzerland yet. However, I would find it disturbing if a controller asked me to report some small town which isn't an official reporting point published in the AIP. Aeronautics is supposed to be international and I detest local regulations that deviate from the rules in general use. It makes flying internationally for general aviation pilots so much harder!

Tim's points are valid: the ICAO chart is only one of many charts used for flying in Switzerland. I am positive that they don't all show the same small towns. And an interactive, electronic vector chart has the big advantage of being dynamically created.

If a controller asked me to report an unfamiliar town, I would simply reply "Unfamiliar with reporting point." It is upon him to use standard reference points for position reports.

And, finally, you can create your own custom VRPs in SD.

Greetings, -- Chris.‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
We always respond to emails. Perhaps those users would like to let you know the date and time of their emails so that I can check.

Switzerland is one of the countries in which we are most popular‌‌, so I have trouble reconciling your feedback above with our actual usage. Unless people are using two products at once, which doesn't seem likely on a large scale.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search