SkyDemon Forums

Problem with missing city names and low detail map in general in Switzerland

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic21308.aspx

By Vladimir Vician - 5/2/2017 8:49:07 AM

Tim Dawson - 2/3/2017 11:08:03 AM
We do adapt to the zoom level, but the town selection is an algorithm based upon population of the town; we cannot simply copy what another cartographer has done on an existing product. The problem is not simply one of copyright: if ATC want pilots to report at a specific place, that place should really be an officially published VRP or at least mentioned in the AIP.

Having said all that, we do have plans to enable more smaller towns to appear in our maps at high zoom levels, but we are not there yet. Hopefully later this year.

Hope this is on the priority list. Because, i need to use another product to be able to report my position !!!.
‌Anyways SD is great product. And I like it. This is last think... More cities names on zoomed map, or be able to custom set density of cities names or higher density along planed route. Hope you plan to incerase density globaly, as I flying in slovakia.
By Tim Dawson - 5/2/2017 12:23:15 PM

Please feel free to tell us exactly where you were, and how the position offered by SkyDemon was insufficient.
By Chris_LSZO - 5/15/2017 9:43:20 PM

Often in Switzerland a controller say to me: report village xyz. This mean a village shown at the ICAO map. Its not nice to me, if I can't see this village in Skydemon...
Because this, for me its very important to have the same villages in Skydemon like on the ICAO chart.
Chris
By Tim Dawson - 5/16/2017 12:35:29 PM

If you want the ICAO chart, then I would suggest using it. I hope it is clear why we cannot take somebody else's chart and copy all the villages from it, and apply that to our 500k zoom level. Villages are not aeronautical data and there are many charts out there in use other than the ICAO 500k one.

In nearly every other country, if ATC want you to report somewhere o‌r relative to somewhere, they will use a VRP. That's what VRPs are for.‌
By s1l3ntgl1d3r - 5/17/2017 7:22:14 AM

Hi Tim and all

Thank you for keeping this thread alive and taking the time to answer my question. I now have almost 45hrs and got to fly my first solo cross country flight. Here in Switzerland we all train to fly with the Standard ICAO Map, and iPads and moving maps are usually not allowed in basic training, what you do once you have a license is your thing but I always speak to more experienced pilots here and show them the capabilities of SD and they are all really interested. For example the NOTAM system in SD is really cool, even though i am not allowed to use SD in the Air i use SD to "check" my Flightplan and the NOTAM System is just great to visualize active Restricted Zones or Danger Areas. But usually pilots come back to me after trying SD in the Air all with the same feedback, the map is not detailed enough for Swiss Standards, and they all go to Jeppesen, I have tried that product as well but I find SD much better and with a bigger scope of functions. The flight prep is much much better on SD, but the map in Jeppesen kicks some you know what.

I have heard that some Swiss users tried to contact you in this regards, offering help but did not get any feedback. I am pretty sure that adding a few important city names can not be so difficult. I am now adding special waypoints to my map manually but this is not really a solution in my opinion.

Regards

Max
By ckurz7000 - 5/17/2017 2:28:58 PM

I am from Austria and haven't flown in Switzerland yet. However, I would find it disturbing if a controller asked me to report some small town which isn't an official reporting point published in the AIP. Aeronautics is supposed to be international and I detest local regulations that deviate from the rules in general use. It makes flying internationally for general aviation pilots so much harder!

Tim's points are valid: the ICAO chart is only one of many charts used for flying in Switzerland. I am positive that they don't all show the same small towns. And an interactive, electronic vector chart has the big advantage of being dynamically created.

If a controller asked me to report an unfamiliar town, I would simply reply "Unfamiliar with reporting point." It is upon him to use standard reference points for position reports.

And, finally, you can create your own custom VRPs in SD.

Greetings, -- Chris.‌‌
By s1l3ntgl1d3r - 1/30/2017 5:39:22 PM

Hi 

I am in the process of getting my PPL in Switzerland. After about 20hrs I did my second navigation flight last friday. I really like to learn to navigate only with the ICAO map at first, but I tried Skydemon the other day and I must say it is really great as a planing tool.

‌‌Here in Switzerland the airspace is really tight and we have lots of TMAs and almost during every flight we need a clearance to fly through them. To ask for the clearance it is really important to know the position of the aircraft, and due to the fact that the airspace is so small, the position of the aircraft has to be precise, my biggest problem with SD is that lots of names of "big" towns are missing, which in fact makes SD not usable for me at the moment.

‌I have read that lots of Swiss pilots have the same issue but I don't want to give up SD as it looks to be a promissing APP. Is there a way to add the names that can be found on the ICAO map? 

T‌hank you for your help.
R‌egards,
M‌ax‌
H‌ere an example of what I mean:

I‌CAO Map:

S‌D view: ( I have highlighted some of the cities for which SD doesnt show a name.)
‌‌‌

H‌ere a more detailed shot of the ICAO Map: 

‌‌
By Tim Dawson - 5/17/2017 2:30:34 PM

We always respond to emails. Perhaps those users would like to let you know the date and time of their emails so that I can check.

Switzerland is one of the countries in which we are most popular‌‌, so I have trouble reconciling your feedback above with our actual usage. Unless people are using two products at once, which doesn't seem likely on a large scale.