Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Missing Items on Updated Chart 15/10

Author
carltn16
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just run the latest chart update on both my PC and iOS device and noticed that the ALKIN point, which is the hold for Biggin and City, is now missing. I haven't checked for any other discrepancies but thought it might be worth bringing this to your attention just in case there is a general issue with this update.

Nick Wright
N
Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)
I have also noticed that quite a lot of airways reporting points are no longer shown for example TIPGO and GOPOD near Cambridge. SkyDemon team please can you look into this?

Thanks
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
SkyDemon only shows enroute airways reporting points; at least, that's the design.

It appears that in the UK (only) certain terminal waypoints were erroneously included in UK AIP 4.4 previous to the latest AIP amendment, by UK AIS. This situation has now been corrected and so terminal-only waypoints will have disappeared in SkyDemon.
Nick Wright
N
Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)Too Much Forum (354 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/19/2016 4:28:34 PM
SkyDemon only shows enroute airways reporting points; at least, that's the design.

It appears that in the UK (only) certain terminal waypoints were erroneously included in UK AIP 4.4 previous to the latest AIP amendment, by UK AIS. This situation has now been corrected and so terminal-only waypoints will have disappeared in SkyDemon.

OK I can see why they are now missing - please can we have an option to bring them back as they are very useful and will become even more so with the introduction of more RNAV procedures at non ATC airfields.

Thanks

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
We would consider adding terminal approach waypoints if there was strong enough demand, but we would need to do this for every country we cover, which would be a significant investment.
Nick Wright
N
Tim Dawson - 10/21/2016 10:23:35 AM
We would consider adding terminal approach waypoints if there was strong enough demand, but we would need to do this for every country we cover, which would be a significant investment.

I believe they are highly useful - with more RNAV then being able to avoid the starting point for a RNAV at any airfield is a critical safety capability when flying VFR (especially if there's no ATC ie Gamston early next year) and a vital waypoint for IFR flights.  I know from first hand experience for myself and fellow pilots and instructors that we were using them frequently and immediately noticed they weren't there (and wanted to use them) on the first flight after the chart update.

Thanks for your interest in this issue.

plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)
This has been a topic of discussion recently among a couple of pilots and a bit of a safety concern for those operating nearby. A quick google search has lead me to this thread, albeit this is now 12 months on.

‌Two reporting points of interest to a few of us are ALKIN (near Biggin) and ROMTI (near Lydd), both not showing up on SD.

‌One particular concern was that there is a note for ALKIN on the UK (CAA/NATS) chart that says something to the effect of pilots are to avoid flying near the area of ALKIN around 1800' due to holding IFR traffic. Trouble is ALKIN sits at Swanley, a common reporting point for VFR traffic. Now, VFR pilots may choose not to speak to Biggin or Farnborough (no mandatory requirement in Class G), and fly altitudes up to the base of the LTMA at 2500' quite legally. Not having any reference on SD presents a safety concern in trying to maintain seperation between VFR and IFR traffic in that area, especially procedural traffic with no radar service. Adding it, will of course help mitigate the risk of any potential airprox.

‌Thanks
ivor
i
Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)
+ one
reinstating the Alkin hold imo would be a safety issue considering how many aircraft are squeezed between city and the new southend airspace grab,
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)
IMO, if its on an official chart (paper), it should be on SD too.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
If there is an area deemed dangerous in any way, it will be in ENR 5.x and SkyDemon will show it.

If there is a reporting point deemed useful to VFR in any way, it will be in the AD section and SkyDemon will show it.

If there is a reporting point for the use of enroute airways navi‌‌gation, it will be in the ENR 4.4 section and SkyDemon will show it.

A‌n IFR reporting point for a specific approach and not for general enroute usage is beyond the scope of our VFR database (or any, I suspect). Any efforts to get it to appear on our charts are best directed at the CAA as they're the ones with the power to deem it of significance to VFR traffic and therefore make it a danger area or similar. Even if there were a way for us to force the display of a particular reporting point (we could do) that wouldn't help anyone who didn't know that point was one to be avoided, as certain people seem to know.‌‌‌
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search