Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad touchscreen blocked in flight

Author
Cessnaoui
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I had 3 times in flight the same issue related to Skydemon on my iPad:
The iPad screen is not responding any more to any finger movement. The application continues to work (map moving and showing the position of the plane), but it is impossible for me to interact with it.
When such an event occurs, the message "Updating virtual radar" is displayed in the lower part of the screen for the remaining part of the flight.
After the flight, when I want review the "trace", I get a warning that the recording has been interrupted for more than 38 seconds and that these interruptions will be displayed as a straight line. 

Skydemon for iPad 3.6.3.47.

Cessnaoui
Cessnaoui
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
Shifu - 9/12/2016 6:46:10 AM
Is that on a cellular iPad? If yes, try switching off the data connection in flight.

It is indeed a cellular iPad but without a SIM card. So, data connection via 3G is disabled.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Are you able to use other apps? What happens when you terminate and restart the SkyDemon app, is it ok then?
Cessnaoui
Cessnaoui
Tim Dawson - 9/12/2016 4:05:17 PM
Are you able to use other apps? What happens when you terminate and restart the SkyDemon app, is it ok then?

I need to push the iPad button twice and kill Skydemon application.
If I restart the application it is ok then.
No problem with other apps.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Weird. Unfortunately I can't explain what you are seeing, though it seems to be more than one issue. It might be worth checking during the period when the virtual radar is waiting for an update forever, what your speed, heading and altitude are all doing. I would only expect virtual radar to stop updating during a period when one of these variables is continuously changing, which might be happening if there is a GPS problem.
Cessnaoui
Cessnaoui
Tim Dawson - 9/13/2016 9:00:20 AM
Weird. Unfortunately I can't explain what you are seeing, though it seems to be more than one issue. It might be worth checking during the period when the virtual radar is waiting for an update forever, what your speed, heading and altitude are all doing. I would only expect virtual radar to stop updating during a period when one of these variables is continuously changing, which might be happening if there is a GPS problem.

Thank you for your help. I will check that during a next flight.
Cessnaoui
Cessnaoui
Shifu - 9/13/2016 9:36:45 AM
Which iOS version is used? Using a cellular iPad without a SIM card is possible, but not advisable. If you do not want to use a data plan, stick a prepaid SIM in it, even if you never use it. First fix will be faster with a SIM in it, even if switched off and in some versions of iOS the assisted-GPS does not like to work without one.

It is iOS 9.3.5 (16G36) on an iPad 2.
Please note that I have been using that iPad without SIM card for flying for more than 4 years now without any issue.
I am using Skydemon since January 2016 without any problem.
The first occurence of the issue is about 2 months ago.

Cessnaoui
Cessnaoui
Hello, 

The issue seems to be solved with version 3.6.5.51.
I made a few flights with it without any problem.

Thank you for this. Have safe flights :-)

ericferret
e
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Cessnaoui - 9/11/2016 1:30:28 PM
Hello,

I had 3 times in flight the same issue related to Skydemon on my iPad:
The iPad screen is not responding any more to any finger movement. The application continues to work (map moving and showing the position of the plane), but it is impossible for me to interact with it.
When such an event occurs, the message "Updating virtual radar" is displayed in the lower part of the screen for the remaining part of the flight.
After the flight, when I want review the "trace", I get a warning that the recording has been interrupted for more than 38 seconds and that these interruptions will be displayed as a straight line. 

Skydemon for iPad 3.6.3.47.

As an "aside", my Hudl is reluctant to respond to finger (touchscreen) in flight. It seems to like to be squeezed! That is, if I have a thumb or finger behind it at the same time it is OK, but just applying a finger from the front when it is fixed in position is a problem. Possibly the angle of the finger is wrong, i.e. too upright and so not covering enough surface area on the screen?(Likewise it won't respond to knuckle pressure!)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search