Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
SemperFi - 7/21/2018 7:05:49 PM
TouchTheSky - 7/21/2018 6:40:14 PM
TouchTheSky - 7/18/2018 1:42:10 PM
Tim Dawson - 7/18/2018 1:35:21 PM
That's pretty cool. I don't need a device for testing, but it's nice to know that someone has developed a device that receives and decodes FLARM, presumably without getting an explicit license to do so from FLARM themselves.

I agree, this is indeed remarkable. The FLARM decoder code is derived from the OGN.

An important update: there will shortly be a new version available, the current version is missing some important libs, stay tuned.

Do you have some document describing the changes to stratux-v1.4r4, on which the other procedures for preparing StratuxFLARM were based upon, is yours still based on the cyoung/stratux fork? 

I am not the developer but as far as I understand from looking at the GitHub sources, the "new" implementation is based on this code: https://github.com/0x74-0x62/stratux/tree/devel/flarm_receiver

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
TouchTheSky - 7/21/2018 8:56:53 PM
SemperFi - 7/21/2018 7:05:49 PM
TouchTheSky - 7/21/2018 6:40:14 PM
TouchTheSky - 7/18/2018 1:42:10 PM
Tim Dawson - 7/18/2018 1:35:21 PM
That's pretty cool. I don't need a device for testing, but it's nice to know that someone has developed a device that receives and decodes FLARM, presumably without getting an explicit license to do so from FLARM themselves.

I agree, this is indeed remarkable. The FLARM decoder code is derived from the OGN.

An important update: there will shortly be a new version available, the current version is missing some important libs, stay tuned.

Do you have some document describing the changes to stratux-v1.4r4, on which the other procedures for preparing StratuxFLARM were based upon, is yours still based on the cyoung/stratux fork? 

I am not the developer but as far as I understand from looking at the GitHub sources, the "new" implementation is based on this code: https://github.com/0x74-0x62/stratux/tree/devel/flarm_receiver

The image file has been updated, should be working now as expected.

xray
x
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 7/18/2018 8:59:58 AM
Good news, now there is a ready-to-go Stratux FLARM image available which potentially will be updated on a regular basis:

Congratulations, TTS,

right at the first time I visit this forum I find a brand-new solution for open source FLARM application by chance!
Unfortunately I'm only an average SD user, and I would like to verify whether I got it right.
The configuration You describe has tuned the 978 MHz (US weather etc.) for Europe to FLARM frequency.
First question: Can other AC see me with this Stratux modification or can I only see their FLARM–signal on my unit? Is it ADS-B in and out?
Second question: I read the whole SD thread, but I am new to github. Means: the link
https://github.com/PepperJo/stratux/releases/tag/v1.4r5-flarm is cryptic to me.
I think I have to start with a Stratux unit according to stratux.me and modify this in a second step.
Could You please guide my mind towards this second step?
For other prospective builders too a little tutorial would surely be helpful, and the idea would be worth spreading.
I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Richard

TouchTheSky
T
xray - 7/29/2018 7:03:53 AM
Good news, now there is a ready-to-go Stratux FLARM image available which potentially will be updated on a regular basis:

Congratulations, TTS,

right at the first time I visit this forum I find a brand-new solution for open source FLARM application by chance!
Unfortunately I'm only an average SD user, and I would like to verify whether I got it right.
The configuration You describe has tuned the 978 MHz (US weather etc.) for Europe to FLARM frequency.
First question: Can other AC see me with this Stratux modification or can I only see their FLARM–signal on my unit? Is it ADS-B in and out?
Second question: I read the whole SD thread, but I am new to github. Means: the link
I think I have to start with a Stratux unit according to stratux.me and modify this in a second step.
For other prospective builders too a little tutorial would surely be helpful, and the idea would be worth spreading.

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

Answer 1: Stratux is not transmitting any signal, unlike PilotAware does. Therefore it is only FLARM in & ADS-B in.
Answer 2: You have to start based on a standard Stratux hardware and flash a microSD card with the above mentioned image file.

I will compile a litte tutorial over the next couple of days.

If you don't want to bother with this, I can offer a ready to run version for sale because I have already built a couple of devices for testing. I don't want to make a substantial business out of it (my bill of material per device was roughly € 150,-) but would sell it for € 299,- potentially through eBay. I am also working on a "premium" version with SuperF Antennas for € 349,-

xray
x
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 7/29/2018 9:52:15 AM
xray - 7/29/2018 7:03:53 AM

Congratulations, TTS,

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

Answer 1: Stratux is not transmitting any signal, unlike PilotAware does. Therefore it is only FLARM in & ADS-B in.
Answer 2: You have to start based on a standard Stratux hardware and flash a microSD card with the above mentioned image file.

I will compile a litte tutorial over the next couple of days.

If you don't want to bother with this, I can offer a ready to run version for sale because I have already built a couple of devices for testing. I don't want to make a substantial business out of it (my bill of material per device was roughly € 150,-) but would sell it for € 299,- potentially through eBay. I am also working on a "premium" version with SuperF Antennas for € 349,-

...both ideas are interesting for me.
My transponder does not have extended squitter; so it is a pity that Stratux is only ADS-B in.
Surely the FLARM - process is still proprietary.
Thanks
Richard

neubamat
n
Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)
SemperFi - 8/19/2018 6:59:13 AM
Number Two - WiFi security should be enabled and maybe the SSID changed:

This simple command does almost the same and you don't need to reboot: sudo hostapd_manager.sh -s YOUR_SSID -p YOUR_PASSWORD

neubamat
n
Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)Too Much Forum (574 reputation)
If somebody is wondering why the altitude using Stratux is a little bit off compared to the GPS altitude (in my case it's 115ft too low), this is the reason:

GDL90 protocol specifies that the geometric alt report contains the altitude above the WGS84 ellipsoid. SkyDemon handles this correctly and computes the MSL altitude.
Stratux however sends the MSL altitude already and there's a big thread on the github page because most of the EFBs expect MSL altitude (against the spec).

As a quick fix change the following variable in /root/stratux/main/gen_gdl90.go, func makeOwnshipGeometricAltitudeReport()
  • to: mySituation.GPSHeightAboveEllipsoid
and recompile stratux: service stratux stop && cd /root/stratux && make && make install && systemctl daemon-reload && service stratux start

neubamat
n
It looks like there's an issue with the altitude regarding FLARM traffic as well.
GDL90 spec (3.5.1.4) defines altitude as pressure altitude, but FLARM traffic contains just GPS alt. There's a flag in the TrafficInfo struct, but it's not converted in the stratux code and send as it is...
Traffic might be off for several hundreds of feet depending on the actual baro diff.

Edited 8/21/2018 3:00:28 PM by neubamat
TouchTheSky
T
neubamat - 8/21/2018 3:00:01 PM
It looks like there's an issue with the altitude regarding FLARM traffic as well.
GDL90 spec (3.5.1.4) defines altitude as pressure altitude, but FLARM traffic contains just GPS alt. There's a flag in the TrafficInfo struct, but it's not converted in the stratux code and send as it is...
Traffic might be off for several hundreds of feet depending on the actual baro diff.

Is there an easy fix available?

neubamat
n
TouchTheSky - 8/21/2018 3:06:14 PM
neubamat - 8/21/2018 3:00:01 PM

Is there an easy fix available?

Probably by shifting the altitude using the difference between gps alt and baro alt from mySituation...
Another thing that might lead to differences in altitude is that GeoidSepar isn't set in stratux.conf.template
I'll check it on the weekend, when I've got access to FLARM devices with known altitudes again.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search