Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon on Linux

Author
baffled
Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi - Having the same problem with V3.12.12. I emailed the lovely support team at SkyDemon and they sent me a zipped copy of the version 3.12.11 setup for windows which works just fine under wine. Not  a permanent solution by any means, but it's better than nothing until a work-around is produced for the latest version. 

Not quite sure why there isn't a repository of older versions, but I was genuinely surprised they didn't just say 'we don't support linux' and leave it at that. Thanks to Hannah Hart.

Cheers

B

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We don't support Linux, but have no problem with people setting up an emulation environment to run SkyDemon under such conditions.
b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
Latest version (3.13.0.0) is working in wine again. Thanks!
EDIT: Note however, that I did try to install a bunch of things to get the previous version running (without success). Not sure if it would also work without this.

Edited 12/9/2019 9:06:54 AM by b3nn0
Joachim Zach
J
Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)
Thank you for the message. Works for me as well.

Pischel
P
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Dario70 - 4/3/2016 9:37:22 AM
Hello all,

For all Linux user that want use Skydemon on linux :
http://www.bytebang.at/Blog/Running+SkyDemon+under+Linux+with+wine
Link

Work 100% on Arch.

Happy landings.

Hi All,
I tried to install Skydemon on Ubuntu using wine. Finally I gave up on wine.
Today I decided to use a virtual machine on top of Ubuntu 21.10. The virtual machine software is from Oracle and called VirtualBox. For private use, this software is licensed without fees. Within VirtualBox, I installed Windows 7. Within Windows 7 I installed Skydemon. It works just fine.
All this was done in less than an hour. I recommend to follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3tatME9k4
Worked for me.
Best regards, Jochen

Erdie
E
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
I recently got it running with wine under Gentoo Linux. For setting it up I used the tool Q4wine, with actually does all the winetricks stuff and furthermore creating a new enviroment. Make sure that is is 32bit! I run the dotnet 4,72 winetricks scripts and it finally worked. There is one feature missing: If you move the curser over certain airspaces, it does not show up a tooltip like window which explains the airspace structure at that point. This is not a big issue because you can see it on the virtual radar as well or you just need to check the bounderies on the map.
But I did not discover any other flaws, it is completly useable. If you stress the application window: Resize, fullscreen, toggle window mode and something like that a crash might happen. I got it twice in the last weeks but when do normal planning stuff it looks stable. I will keep on running it in wine because using a VM for it is just a overkill and the wine version is much faster. It is incredible fast compared to Virtualbox. Just ask if you have futher questions.

Nik
N
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
Erdie - 2/26/2022 3:39:06 PM
I recently got it running with wine under Gentoo Linux. For setting it up I used the tool Q4wine, with actually does all the winetricks stuff and furthermore creating a new enviroment. Make sure that is is 32bit! I run the dotnet 4,72 winetricks scripts and it finally worked. There is one feature missing: If you move the curser over certain airspaces, it does not show up a tooltip like window which explains the airspace structure at that point. This is not a big issue because you can see it on the virtual radar as well or you just need to check the bounderies on the map.
But I did not discover any other flaws, it is completly useable. If you stress the application window: Resize, fullscreen, toggle window mode and something like that a crash might happen. I got it twice in the last weeks but when do normal planning stuff it looks stable. I will keep on running it in wine because using a VM for it is just a overkill and the wine version is much faster. It is incredible fast compared to Virtualbox. Just ask if you have futher questions.

I like it on linux (mint) too. But I'm struggling with linux basics.
How do you add the dotnet 4.72 exactly? I found it in the Menu "Settings" -> Winetricks -> dlls. I was able to click and install it. But when I start the skydemonsetup.exe in the explorer, I get the error "SkyDemon requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2"
What is missing?
b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
If anyone is interested: I created an installer-script for Lutris, which will install all needed dependencies. It will also configure wine to use a virtual desktop, otherwise the mouse-hover popups will not work. If you don't like it, feel free to disable that.

Let me know if something isn't working, and I'll try to add it.

Lutris script:
name: SkyDemon
game_slug: skydemon
version: Installer
slug: skydemon-installer
runner: wine

script:
files:
- webview2: https://msedge.sf.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/7b6f380d-d407-4145-b81d-af58f4c19765/MicrosoftEdgeWebview2Setup.exe
- installer: "N/A:Select SkyDemon Setup File"
game:
exe: drive_c/Program Files/SkyDemon/SkyDemon.exe
prefix: $GAMEDIR
arch: win32
working_dir: $GAMEDIR
installer:
- task:
description: Setting up wine prefix
name: create_prefix
- task:
app: dotnet472
description: Installing .NET Framework
name: winetricks
- task:
app: corefonts
description: Installing additional fonts for proper font display
- task:
app: gdiplus
description: Installing GDIPlus
- task:
app: gdiplus_winxp
description: Installing GDIPlus
- task:
executable: webview2
name: wineexec
- task:
executable: installer
name: wineexec
- task:
name: winekill
wine:
dxvk: true
esync: true
Desktop: true
WineDesktop: 1920x1080

EDIT: Also added it to the Lutris web site, still awaiting approval though.

Edited 5/22/2023 12:01:19 PM by b3nn0
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search