Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon on Linux

Author
Dario70
Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all,

For all Linux user that want use Skydemon on linux :
http://www.bytebang.at/Blog/Running+SkyDemon+under+Linux+with+wine
Link

Work 100% on Arch.

Happy landings.

Edited 4/4/2016 5:36:20 AM by Dario70
Joachim Zach
J
Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)
Dario70 - 4/3/2016 9:37:22 AM
Hello all,

For all Linux user that want use Skydemon on linux :
http://www.bytebang.at/Blog/Running+SkyDemon+under+Linux+with+wine
Link

Work 100% on Arch.

Happy landings.

Just an update:
I followed this link and it still works perfect with some additions:
‌I have Debian Stretch and the winetricks in this distribution doesn't work for the dotnet-installation, because the link to the Microsoft Site is outdated. I downloaded a more recent one from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks and this one works fine. It is just a script, so you can download and run it without further installation requirements.
I used ‌
‌bash winetricks dotnet35sp1
which installs also all the other older dotnets down to 2.0, so SkyDemon  can  find, what it wants.
After installation of SkyDemon the program starts, but it did not show the menu and tool bar. I played aroud with function keys after generating some route and ended up in simulation mode with Shift-F5. When I stopped simulation mode from the SkyDemon button, suddenly the menu and tool bars showed up and are always present after a restart of the program.
No idea, why this happened, but if you have the same problem, you know, what you can try.
Otherwise everything works fine under Linux/Wine‌‌.
If you have problems, please ask. I don't know, whether I can help, but I would like very  much to promote SkyDemon PC  under Linux.‌
‌‌

Florian Meissner
Florian Meissner
Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)
zach - 2/28/2018 11:06:06 PM
If you have problems, please ask. I don't know, whether I can help, but I would like very  much to promote SkyDemon PC  under Linux.

Hi zach,

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 for a couple of weeks now. Before that I was on 14.04. Years ago I managed to get SD with PlayOnLinux and worked fine ever since. even after upgrading to Ubuntu18.04.

But today SD prompted me to update so I clicked Yes. The updater failed and said I would need .Net 4.5. So I installed dotnet45 with the script you linked above and opened SD normally. Then the popup came again asking to update SD. I clicked yes again and SD updated itself. After that it even launched normally.

But then I let SD sit for a while and got the "Are you still there window" and clicked the button. SD froze instantly and when I tried to reopen it, the "Only use in VMC" message comes up normally but the main window doesn't. It just draws the window border from gnome and that's it.

I attached the POL log file. Maybe you like to have a look inside...

Florian

Attachments
playonlinux.log.txt (877 views, 4.00 KB)
Joachim Zach
J
Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)Too Much Forum (87 reputation)
Florian Meissner - 3/4/2019 8:17:02 PM
If you have problems, please ask. I don't know, whether I can help, but I would like very  much to promote SkyDemon PC  under Linux.

Hi zach,

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 for a couple of weeks now. Before that I was on 14.04. Years ago I managed to get SD with PlayOnLinux and worked fine ever since. even after upgrading to Ubuntu18.04.

But today SD prompted me to update so I clicked Yes. The updater failed and said I would need .Net 4.5. So I installed dotnet45 with the script you linked above and opened SD normally. Then the popup came again asking to update SD. I clicked yes again and SD updated itself. After that it even launched normally.

But then I let SD sit for a while and got the "Are you still there window" and clicked the button. SD froze instantly and when I tried to reopen it, the "Only use in VMC" message comes up normally but the main window doesn't. It just draws the window border from gnome and that's it.

Florian

Joachim Zach
J

Hi zach,

Florian

Dear Florian,
I also just got the request to install dotnet 4.5 after the SD upgrade. I wil have a look, what will happen. But I am still on Debian Stretch, so the solution might not work for you, if I find one.
Joachim (zach)

Joachim Zach
J

Hi zach,

Florian

Dear Florian,
I installed dotnet45 with this winetricks in my present WINEPREFIX and after the update SD is running as normal. I did not yet wait for the "Are you still there" prompt, but restarted SD several times without problems.
However, I have an old wine (1.8-something, not 3.20 like you) and I have no experience with PlayOnLinux.
Does it make any difference, if you run it directly with wine like

wine /home/florian/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Skydemon/drive_c/Programme/SkyDemon/SkyDemon.exe

sorry, that I can't help more.
Regards,
Joachim

Florian Meissner
Florian Meissner
Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)
[quote]
zach - 3/5/2019 12:00:52 AM

However, I have an old wine (1.8-something, not 3.20 like you) and I have no experience with PlayOnLinux.
Does it make any difference, if you run it directly with wine like

Hi Joachim,

thanks for your reply. I used POL because I needed a solution to run Skydemon as 32bit on my 64bit machine. And since I am not really good with wine, POL seemed to be the most logical solution.

But anway, when I'm back from work this evening, I will try to run SD directly and will also try to downgrade my wine version. POL has some nice "Klicki-Bunti"-Window for this.

I'll let you know!

Viele Grüße aus Niedersachsen.
Florian

Florian Meissner
Florian Meissner
Hi Joachim,

got my Skydemon working again. Meanwhile I upgraded my Ubuntu from 14.04 to 18.04 and it magically resolved to SD issue. I assume that some other version of wine/POL comes with the newer Ubuntu which fixed it.

Anyway, for somebody still looking for a solution, here are some data:
Wine version: 3.20
POL version: 4.2.12
Skydemon version: 3.12.1 and 3.12.4

Florian

Florian Meissner
Florian Meissner
Hello Linux Friends,

I wonder what your experience is with the new V3.12.12. Since SD implemented all the announcements we know from the mobile devices, I got a lot of errors from wine when I updated. I figured out, that I would need winetricks speechsdk to get sapi5.dll but still I encounter a com error. Does anybody know a workaround for that COM object error?

BY the way, I left POL a couple of month ago and started working with wine directly. below you see my setup.
:~/SkyDemon$ wine --version
wine-4.0.2

:~/SkyDemon$ env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="/home/XXXX/SkyDemon" winetricks list-installed
Using winetricks 20180217 - sha256sum: 1b156c616174f41df79d72a90c52eb2b110c63a6e8ecb865d303a8f9f0908924 with wine-4.0.2 and WINEARCH=win32
corefonts
dotnet20sp1
dotnet20sp2
dotnet30
dotnet40
dotnet452
gdiplus
ie6
ie7
msls31
pngfilt
speechsdk

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.ISpDataKey'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{14056581-E16C-11D2-BB90-00C04F8EE6C0}' failed due to the following error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE).
at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
at System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.ISpDataKey.OpenKey(String subKeyName, ISpDataKey& ppSubKey)
at System.Speech.Internal.ObjectTokens.RegistryDataKey.OpenKey(String keyName)
at System.Speech.Internal.ObjectTokens.ObjectToken.get_Attributes()
at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis.BuildInstalledVoices(VoiceSynthesis voiceSynthesizer)
at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis..ctor(WeakReference speechSynthesizer)
at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.get_VoiceSynthesizer()
at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.SelectVoiceByHints(VoiceGender gender, VoiceAge age, Int32 voiceAlternate, CultureInfo culture)
at Divelements.SkyDemon.SpeechQueue.SetVoice(String windowsVoice)
at Divelements.SkyDemon.Navigation.NavigationServices.SetSpeechSynthesisVoice()
at Divelements.SkyDemon.Navigation.NavigationServices..ctor(ApplicationEnvironment environment, Trip trip, DataManager dataManager, WarningThresholdOptions thresholdOptions)
at Divelements.SkyDemon.ApplicationEnvironment..ctor(Boolean resetSettings)
at Divelements.SkyDemon.Program.Main()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SkyDemon
Assembly Version: 3.12.12.28390
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SkyDemon/SkyDemon.exe
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Divelements.SandGrid
Assembly Version: 2.2.4.1
Win32 Version: 2.2.4.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SkyDemon/Divelements.SandGrid.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
SandDock
Assembly Version: 3.0.6.1
Win32 Version: 3.0.6.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SkyDemon/SandDock.DLL
TallComponents.PDF.Rasterizer
Assembly Version: 3.0.179.0
Win32 Version: 3.0.179.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SkyDemon/TallComponents.PDF.Rasterizer.DLL
Divelements.Aviation
Assembly Version: 3.12.12.28390
Win32 Version: 3.12.12.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SkyDemon/Divelements.Aviation.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d5

Joachim Zach
J
Hi Florian,
I am also getting trouble with this most recent version. The error message on my side is identical to yours although my configuration is quite old (see below).
I just discovered it, so no time yet to look for a solution.
My approach would be to somehow disable this speech stuff, which is rather useless on the PC, on startup, but I don't have an idea, how to do that.
Maybe, some of the SD-team might know.

--------------------------------------

panda@daheim:~$ winetricks list-installed
Using winetricks 20170101 - sha1sum: c844fda0cca25ac9ed0ed1b55cd138cab6a4af16 with wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2) and WINEARCH=win32
baekmuk
comctl32ocx
comdlg32ocx
corefonts
dotnet20
dotnet30sp1
dotnet35sp1
dotnet40
dotnet452
dotnet45
droid
eufonts