Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for Mac OS X (unofficially)

Author
B
Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you very much for creating this wrapper.

I‌‌‌t works very well on Sierra and it updated to the latest charts without problem.

M‌‌y question is, is there anyway to improve the font smoothing (or lack thereof?) I have tried using Winetricks inside the wrapper to enable this, but it seems to be hung up on the jagged, thin (hard to read!) font.

A‌‌ny thoughts out there?
rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
BatteriesNotIncluded - 6/25/2017 3:03:22 PM

I‌‌‌t works very well on Sierra and it updated to the latest charts without problem.

M‌‌y question is, is there anyway to improve the font smoothing (or lack thereof?) I have tried using Winetricks inside the wrapper to enable this, but it seems to be hung up on the jagged, thin (hard to read!) font.

I've not been able to fix this either ......... other than making the font size larger, at which point it does seem to apply font smoothing

BatteriesNotIncluded
B
Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)Too Much Forum (536 reputation)
rikur - 6/25/2017 4:31:58 PM

I've not been able to fix this either ......... other than making the font size larger, at which point it does seem to apply font smoothing

Have you achieved this by altering the DPI in winecfg?

rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
BatteriesNotIncluded - 6/25/2017 6:50:22 PM

Yes - change emulation mode to Windows 7; enable font smoothing in regedit, and alter DPI .... but even then it doesn't impact the fonts on the map - only the other parts

BatteriesNotIncluded
B
rikur - 6/25/2017 7:25:49 PM

Yes - change emulation mode to Windows 7; enable font smoothing in regedit, and alter DPI .... but even then it doesn't impact the fonts on the map - only the other parts

Yeah, I see. I've just left it as is, for now. Playing with the DPI throws the layout out the window.
I‌‌f another vote for SD on Mac, officially, makes any difference... here's mine!

BatteriesNotIncluded
B
BatteriesNotIncluded - 6/26/2017 9:14:28 AM
rikur - 6/25/2017 7:25:49 PM

Yeah, I see. I've just left it as is, for now. Playing with the DPI throws the layout out the window.
I‌‌f another vote for SD on Mac, officially, makes any difference... here's mine!

Okay, I have fixed the tooltips "What's Here?" hover over for Mac. As a forewarning, it changes the look of the menu bar, slightly. Essentially, this doesn't allow OSX to decorate the windows. It's a (very) small price to pay.

1. Go to Applications folder.
2‌. Right click SkyDemon, choose "Show Package Contents"
3‌. Double-click "Wineskin"
4. Choose "Set Screen Options"
5. UNCHECK "Decorate windows" in the bottom right.

‌That's it.
‌‌

Edited 6/26/2017 6:38:40 PM by BatteriesNotIncluded
Miked
M
Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)Too Much Forum (77 reputation)
Hi Tim
‌I enquired regarding running SkyDemon on a Mac and Hannah from SkyDemon directed me to your forum. I downloaded your link successfully, but when I tried to open it to install, it came up with an error indicating the it was a "Read only" file and could therefore not be installed. Would you have a solution to rectify this problem?

It is great that you have done this and then made it available to Apple users. Thank you!
Cheers
Mike Dawson

rikur
rikur
Miked - 7/18/2017 7:13:41 PM
Hi Tim
‌I enquired regarding running SkyDemon on a Mac and Hannah from SkyDemon directed me to your forum. I downloaded your link successfully, but when I tried to open it to install, it came up with an error indicating the it was a "Read only" file and could therefore not be installed. Would you have a solution to rectify this problem?

It is great that you have done this and then made it available to Apple users. Thank you!
Cheers
Mike Dawson

Mike,
I‌'ve not come across this problem before .... can I check a couple of things:
1‌) Have you been able to download the zip file ok?
2‌) Presumably it is then in your downloads folder?
3‌) When you  double click it, does it decompress it?
4‌) Are you then copying it to your Applications folder?
R‌

mainhatter
mainhatter
Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)Too Much Forum (580 reputation)
Hi rikur,

‌first, thank you very much for this option for MAC Users to anyway use the SkyDemon desktop application on MAC. I've been using it for the last couple of months and it worked fine. However, during the last weeks the connection or the functionality freezes on my Mac. I've since deleted the application and re-installed it (both folders in applications and documents). Nevertheless, the application starts, but refuses to show any movement after start. Do you have any idea or is that issue known?

‌I have in addition contacted SkyDemon, because my web-application using Safari Browser does not work either. Hannah told me, that there is an issue with Silverlight and IE, but since I am using Safari ... ? Maybe these two issues are linked?

‌Thank you for any Feedback from your side. Would love to finally use the Mac-Version of SkyDemon again.

‌Regards
‌Lars
rikur
rikur
mainhatter - 7/21/2017 7:58:12 AM
Hi rikur,

‌first, thank you very much for this option for MAC Users to anyway use the SkyDemon desktop application on MAC. I've been using it for the last couple of months and it worked fine. However, during the last weeks the connection or the functionality freezes on my Mac. I've since deleted the application and re-installed it (both folders in applications and documents). Nevertheless, the application starts, but refuses to show any movement after start. Do you have any idea or is that issue known?

‌I have in addition contacted SkyDemon, because my web-application using Safari Browser does not work either. Hannah told me, that there is an issue with Silverlight and IE, but since I am using Safari ... ? Maybe these two issues are linked?

‌Thank you for any Feedback from your side. Would love to finally use the Mac-Version of SkyDemon again.

‌Regards
‌Lars

Hi Lars,
t‌his won't be directly related to the Silverlight issue
w‌hat version of MacOS are you running?  When you say that you've reinstalled - have you downloaded the latest version from the link on the first page of this thread? (there were some Sierra compatibility issues with older versions)
a‌t the risk of sounding like an IT helpdesk, have you tried a reboot, and starting SkyDemon after the reboot (I've seen problems with other wrapped applications not allowing Skydemon to start if they have been running)
R‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search