Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for Mac OS X (unofficially)

Author
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
G-OIBM - 3/17/2018 12:18:31 PM
I managed to install SkyDemon on my MacBook Pro - and it worked first time :-)

A‌ quick question though - the fonts and graphics look very grainy and looks like an old windows screen when the resolution wasn't quite correct.  Is this a setting on my MacBook Pro that is wrong or a limitation of the emulation skin software?

T‌his is not a moan, and I must thank the developer for all the hard work done so far.‌‌

Hi - the rendering doesn't have 'anti-aliasing' so can look a bit like how you describe.
‌The image below shows Mac (Wineskin) version on the left, and Windows 10 on the right:

Straighten Up
S
Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)
Just installed after years fudging through a poor silverlight extension on safari - much much better - All charts seemed to download properly and routing is easy. Thanks for your efforts!!
andydavy
andydavy
Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)
Hi

‌I downloaded & installed the Mac version again (yes, I deleted the previous one from the Applications folder) and I keep getting SkyDemon.exe crashes (immediately after startup).  Any clues?

rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
andydavy - 5/22/2018 8:34:16 PM
Hi

‌I downloaded & installed the Mac version again (yes, I deleted the previous one from the Applications folder) and I keep getting SkyDemon.exe crashes (immediately after startup).  Any clues?

Only thing I can think to try is deleting all local data relating to Skydemon .... from a terminal prompt type:

mv "$HOME/library/application support/Divelements Limited" "$HOME/library/application support/Divelements old"
mv "$HOME/documents/SkyDemon" "$HOME/documents/SkyDemon old"

andydavy
andydavy
Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)
That did it. Copied the SD folder to the desktop. Downloaded & reinstalled clean copy. Copied back aircraft, routes, logs etc into the relevant folders. Stable so far...
andydavy
andydavy
Ho hum. Still failing. Steps are:

Clean app install
‌Start app
‌Create route
Zoom in
‌Crash with "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled
‌Process ID=0x8 (8), Thread ID=0x2f (47)"
andydavy
andydavy
More on this. I have tried this with version 3.8.2.0 & 3.7.1 & get similar results when following the above steps.

‌At first I thought it followed updating the charts, but that's not the case.

‌I have tried this on two different Macs, with the same results. The second had never had SkyDemon installed on it.

‌A pity, as it has rendered SkyDemon unusable for me.

rikur
rikur
andydavy - 5/26/2018 11:37:17 AM
More on this. I have tried this with version 3.8.2.0 & 3.7.1 & get similar results when following the above steps.

‌I have tried this on two different Macs, with the same results. The second had never had SkyDemon installed on it.

Grasping at straws .... you could try using the X11 driver instead of the Mac one....
Find where you have the Skydemon package ... right click "Show package contents"
L‌aunch the Wineskin app in the root of the package
S‌elect "Set Screen Options" and untick "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" 

Thomas Jensen
Thomas Jensen
Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)
andydavy - 5/26/2018 11:37:17 AM

Hi All, I've got the same unusual attitude as andydavy and have tried a variety of different configuration options for wineskin.app but making very little difference. SD appears to crash as soon as you start zooming an / out in the map. Sometimes it takes a couple of go's, but SD crashes pretty quickly and the app is not usable on the OSX platform.

H‌as anyone got a setup that works on OSX / macOS ?
I‌ amon a mac book pro (2015 model) running OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
D‌oes SD work better on Sierra or High Sierra?
D‌o we have another version of Wine that works?

S‌D on mac is not supported but by ourselves but this is the season where we need it most ;-)

H‌ope to hear some success stories soon

-T‌h‌‌

rikur
rikur
SemperFi - 7/1/2018 3:31:38 PM
Same crashes here - current Skydemon Plan @macOS is INOP ...

Still working fine for me in High Sierra.
F‌or those using el cap, it might be worth trying the old version before the changes made for High Sierra compatibility:
O‌ld version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ml28l9a9iv0dzt/SkyDemon%20for%20Mac%203.7.1.zip?dl=0

‌‌‌‌Alternatively, for those on High Sierra a newly compiled version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nr3rv8dxp9vdfx8/SkyDemon%20for%20Mac%203.10.0.0.zip?dl=0
‌‌

Edited 7/1/2018 3:37:28 PM by rikur
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search