Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Accurate flight cost calculator

Author
baffled
Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi - I wanted to suggest an improvement to the flight cost calculator for those of us who rent aircraft by the hour (Hobb's meter reading, fuel included). Currently SkyDemon allows me to specify the cost per hour, and I can check 'fuel included', but there is then no way to add time spent in taxiing and run-up. This means the calculated cost of a journey is way below the real value. Hannah at SkyDemon suggested altering the 'Taxi-takeoff' fuel requirement, but although increasing this value does increase the fuel required for the trip, it does not affect the cost (because fuel is included!). What is needed is a separate 'Taxi/Holding Time' entry, which would increase the cost at the hourly rate, and also add proportionally to the fuel needed (a value for taxiing fuel consumption might be needed).

Could this be considered for the next release? I would really value an accurate cost and fuel calculator.

Regards,

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We'd certainly consider it, but there would need to be a very compelling reason to add it. I can totally understand your desire to have it, but must inform you that this is the only such request we've had over the years of SkyDemon being popular. Presumably the work around is to simply add a fixed amount to the cost SkyDemon estimates, such as £5 or £10?
baffled
baffled
Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)Too Much Forum (422 reputation)
Thanks for getting back to me!

The addition would be a fixed amount, but for my flights the amount it is nearer £60 than £5 ( = just over 20 minutes spent taxiing, doing power checks, holding & taking off, then joining, landing, taxiing and shutting down). Ok, so I'm a new pilot and I will probably be able to reduce this time once I get used to not having to do standard overhead joins everywhere, but there must be many others who hire their aircraft by the hour from a flying club. I think you acknowledge this by providing the 'Cost per hour' and 'Fuel included' options. If there are enough customers to warrant adding these options to Sky Demon, then surely they deserve the additional code to make these costings accurate? I would call that a compelling reason!

Regards,

B
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I'm sure you would, and I certainly don't want to take away from your suggestion. It's just we'd need many others to weigh in also, in order for us to prioritise this above the myriad other things on our plate.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search