Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

gpx route export from SkyDemon Web

Author
RowlandCarson
Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been using SkyDemon Light happily for several years, planning routes in Safari on my Mac and exporting the GPX files to my Garmin GPSmap 296 using LoadMyTracks.

I recently took out the trial subscription to the upgrade for SkyDemon Web to see if it would prove worthwhile for me.

I don't seem to be able to find a way to export my planned routes in a GPX file (as I normally did in SkyDemon Light) for use on my Garmin GPSmap 296. The saved routes in SkyDemon Web use a different XML vocabulary to the usual Garmin one and are not recognised by the utility LoadMyTracks that I use for other GPX route and track transfers.

The SkyDemon documentation file doesn't cover SkyDemon Web explicitly and the instructions therein for connecting Garmin devices are not congruent with the menus on SkyDemon Web. I tried using the "Register Device" item in the "Sync" menu but that does not appear to work on a Mac.

Is there any way to export "plain vanilla" GPX route files from SkyDemon Web? If there is no workaround for this, the extra convenience features of SkyDemon Web will not be much use to me and I will revert to SkyDemon Light when my trial period ends.

And, yes, I know it's possible to run a Windows emulator on a Mac to use that version of SkyDemon; the reason I have a Mac is that I don't want to use Windows!

in friendship

Rowland
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Route -> Save to Disk.
When prompted to enter the filename there should also be a dropdown to specify what the file type is. GPX is the second option.
RowlandCarson
RowlandCarson
Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)Too Much Forum (331 reputation)
Tim - thanks for your prompt response.

Well, running SkyDemon Web on Safari on a Mac, the "save to disk" option goes to a standard save dialogue box and I see no drop-down menu for file type. The default filename presented is "untitled.flightplan", with the "untitled" part selected so the user can type in a useful name.

However, prompted by your answer, I wondered what would happen if I selected the "flight plan" extension and overtyped it as "gpx" instead - and when I opened the resulting file I found it had had the desired effect! I was able to upload it to my GPSmap 296 as usual.

As a user interface, it's not a very intuitive way to achieve the result but at least it works.

As a supplementary, are other filetypes are available on the drop-down menu (the one I can't see)? If so, please let me have a list.

in friendship

Rowland
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
No, just those two are available. Glad it's sorted, even if the Mac way of choosing file type isn't very intuitive.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search