Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Editing of per-leg settings

Author
makmak
Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I want to edit the settings such as altitude for a particular leg, I can double click on it in the map or the virtual radar view. This brings up a pop-up where I can e.g. change the altitude for the leg. Quite often, I want to change the altitude for all my legs, and this requires that I double click on all legs. It would be nice if there were buttons in the leg editor popup that would bring me to the next/previous leg. On tablets, this could also be achieved by swiping. Perhaps it would be possible to inherit altitudes from the previous leg as well?

I am aware that it is possible to change the leg altitude by dragging it in the virtual radar view, but this is quite fiddly since I have to get it right to the nearest 100ft, and this is particularly difficult on a smaller screen such as an ipad mini. 

On a related note: Why can I only enter altitudes in feet, and not in flight levels above the transition altitude?

Thanks, 
/Martin Koch
adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
If you want to change the altitude for the whole flight, you can do this in the 'Flight Details' tab. This will only affect legs that haven't had their settings overridden.

Andy

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Also, the level (whether the whole-route "general" level or leg-specific levels) can be set as a flight level by typing e.g. FL100.
makmak
makmak
Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)Too Much Forum (783 reputation)
Thanks, Tim. That's useful to know. But I would still really like to see the easy transitioning to the next/previous leg. 
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Why, exactly? For us to justify making this change we'd need to appreciate the need for a significant number of our users to modify their legs in such a successive manner. I suspect most use the general route level setting.
makmak
makmak
The most common scenario is that I'm departing a CTR, class D. Above is a TMA at 1500' that I don't want to get into. I leave the CTR, and still have the TMA above at 1500'. Soon after, the TMA lower limit goes up to 2500'; I'd like to climb up near that ASAP. A while later, the limit is 5000'. Then, I'd like to cross a body of water, and will climb to, say FL 65 to maintain glide altitude. Upon getting over land, I'd like to descend to, say, 2500' again, for a better view. Then, nearing my destination, there are again airspaces, each with their particular lower boundaries. 

I create a leg for each altitude, and, as you can see from this description, a single altitude for the entire journey is not appropriate. In SD, setting the altitude to FL65 by pulling the leg up in the virtual radar mode is fiddly (hitting exactly 6500' takes a bit of patience). Double tapping and dismissing the pop-up individually for each leg is annoying. So it would be really nice if i could simply bring up one popup, set the level there, and swipe/press my way to the next/previous leg to set the altitude. 

Thanks
Flint
Flint
Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)
@Tim Dawson, the idea of makmak gets my strong support. The suggested buttons could be helpful to plan the route step by step in a more efficient way.

Besides of the buttons (without any intensions to hijack this thread Ermm), I'd like to suggest to make the route plan window-section muliti-selectable and multi-editable. As far as I know it is not possible to select more than one waypoint in that list. I would appreciate if a choice of waypoints could be selected at once (like selecting multiple files in Windows Explorer by pressing Shift or Ctrl and Click) and make them editable in one step. This would help to assign a uniform level to all selected legs in one step, or to set the checkbox "use route level". Sometimes it is necessary to change the planned altitude for many waypoints in a row, but not for the whole travel. Such an example can be the application of semi-circular rules (Wiki) after a heading change or fly a higher level to cross a mountaineous area, etc.

Best wishes,
Alex

Edited 7/2/2015 11:09:45 PM by Flint
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thanks. If we get broad support for this suggestion we will definitely consider it in our next development meeting.
Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Perhaps there's another way of looking at this by showing current and pending airspace limits along track. Profile view kind of shows this but not finitely?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search