Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Using Skydemon with External GPS issues

Author
nkt2000
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I appreciate there are a number of threads on this subject but none seem to address my problem.

I am using Skydemon on iPad mini with Dual XGPS150E external gps receiver.  I have not had it up in the aircraft yet but have been checking it out in my car.   The Dual app shows a good strong signal with good position data.   However, Skydemon keep putting up a message saying that it is waiting for position data.  Then the position will come back and then drop out again.  Similarly, there is no groundspeed and no heading shown on the screen even when I am doing 60 mph.  Skydemon does correctly say at the top of the screen that I am still on the ground, maybe this is the reason for the other issues.

Is this normal and do I actually have to get airborne for skydemon to work properly?

PS Using V3.2.1.1
Edited 4/11/2015 10:38:30 AM by nkt2000
dave778g
dave778g
Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)Too Much Forum (144 reputation)
I have also been experiencing the same problem since upgrading to iOS8.3 but the problem is not isolated to SkyDemon or the Satnav receiver you are using as I have both a BadElf receiver and a GNS200 receiver and the results are the same...SkyDemon Navigation does not work. More frustratingly I am being shunted around between Apple Support, SkyDemon support and BadElf support getting nowhere.
Aussie Andy
Aussie Andy
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
So I also have same issue since upgrade to iOS 8.3 --- haven't been able to use SD in the air in my iPad with my DUAL XGPS150 since Sad
Aussie Andy
Aussie Andy
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
The article here: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/04/09/ios-8-3-problems-fixes/ suggests trying Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings to fix iOS8.3 Bluetooth issues. Sorry to report trying this has not helped.
Aussie Andy
Aussie Andy
francois57
francois57
Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)
I tried this, it works, but you have to be fast as the 8.2 build will disappear soon

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-8.3-on-your-iphone-or-ipad/

KR

Francois
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Unfortunately this is definitely an Apple bug, and there is definitely nothing we can do about it. The GPS receiver manufacturers themselves are talking with Apple about it, though, which is a good thing.
G-AXJI
G-AXJI
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
I flew on Wednesday last (15/4/15) and didn't realise there were 8.3 issues. I have a Bad Elf Pro+ and we flew almost 2 hours with a perfect GPS lock on my iPad Mini 3 which does have an internal GPS but I tend to use the Bad Elf as it tends to be more robust and reliable.

I have just checked again now, with the internal GPS both off and on, and am getting a position fix on SD as soon as the GPS gets a navigation lock.

I always make sure I update the i-devices by connecting to my Mac and updating through iTunes as the OTA update is reputedly more likely to introduce issues as it (apparently) only updates and patches iOS whereas an iTunes hard-wired update refreshes a complete replacement OS. How true this is I don't know but there have been reported comparisons with the download images for both the OTA/WiFi update and the iTunes update and the iTunes update is a fair bit bigger.
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
I haven't flown for a few weeks but I wish I'd visited the forum before I flew today. I only updated my iPad yesterday and like everyone else I couldn't benefit by using SD with my Garmin glow.
My wife does have a nexus 7 so I'll have to give that a try until apple sort it out.
I did try to downgrade back to OS 8.2 but the downloaded zipped file didn't seem to work when I synced my iPad to my PC
Awitty
Awitty
Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)Too Much Forum (155 reputation)
I found the fix below

http://hiltonsoftware.com/ios83fix

One would assume it will work with SD if you simply alter the privacy settings.

Haven't had opportunity to try it yet.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search