Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Using Skydemon with External GPS issues

Author
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
That's not relevant here unfortunately. WingX can communicate directly with the XGPS device (not via iOS location services), so changing that setting forces that scenario.

nkt2000
nkt2000
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have just been on to Apple Support about this issue.  They are telling me that, as Skydemon is a third party app, then I should contact them.  Apple Support tell me that Skydemon should update their app so that it takes into account all the improvements in IOS 8.3 .  Now there is a surprise.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You made the mistake of mentioning a specific app. If you tell them that location services doesn't work in ALL apps (which is the case*) then they can't shift the blame onto app developers.

* except apps developed specifically for certain GPS receivers, which bypass location services.
nkt2000
nkt2000
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
That is almost as helpful as Apple's response.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You're welcome.

We have heard today that the iOS 8.4 beta (#2) that Apple have released to testers has fixed the issue. That's good news, as it shows that the issue will be resolved, and that it is an Apple issue.
James Fisher
James Fisher
Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)
As no solution seemed to be forthcoming from Apple in the near future and with there being a bit of a lack of help on this forum from the tech people at Skydemon I went onto the BadElf forum.
There seems to be a bit more discussion there focussed on getting the issue resolved and not just accepting this crap from Apple until such a time as they can be bothered to release 8.4.
Some clever techies have figured out how to roll back the update to V8.2.
So being frustrated at the lack of progress thats exactly what I did and it worked out just fine and now I'm back in business with no issues.

What I would say is before you do this make sure iTunes is up to date and do a backup of all of your data.
In fact I did an iCloud backup of my Skydemon routes and profiles a separate iCloud backup on my iPad3 and a full iTunes backup to my MacBook Pro's hard drive just to be on the safe side.

Click on this link and just follow the instructions. I was pretty worried about doing this kind of thing on an Apple device as its more akin to the kind of procedure you had to carry out on rubbish windows devices to fix various glitches. However it worked out just fine on my Ipad3 with wifi.

Cheers hope this helps & happy flying

James.

http://jaxov.com/2015/04/downgrade-from-ios-8-3-to-ios-8-2/

nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
Is there any indication when Apple might release 8.4?

Re James fisher post, the option of downgrading to 8.2 was mentioned on this forum about a month ago.
Edited 5/1/2015 9:27:08 AM by nje
Peter EIER
Peter EIER
Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)
Install the 8.4 beta 3, that solved the external GPS issue for me.

Instructions how to see youtube, also link to the 8.4 beta 3 download is provided in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJgYS8KW9H4

Happy landings, Peter
Edited 6/6/2015 2:46:37 PM by Peter EIER
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
The lates update IOS 8.4 is now out.
I've updated and my GPS (garmin glo) is back in action.
I haven't flown with it yet but it works in the car, will fly with it on Friday
PaulDean
PaulDean
Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)Too Much Forum (526 reputation)
Hi. Just had an email from the GNS1000 manufacturer saying that iOS8.4 has resolved the problem connecting to its devices too. Haven't upgraded yet to find out because some online forums are indicating possible other problems with iOS8.4 including reduced accuracy of the inbuilt GPS in the 3G/ 4G models and battery life issues. These problems only appear to affect small numbers of users so it does look hopeful.

Having said that I reckon that skydemon has been unusable in Nav mode on my wifi-only iPad (bluetoothed with gns1000) for about a third of the time over the last 3 years due to iOS upgrades rendering the GNS device useless and Apple delays and denials. I've now gone for a 3G model which has worked consistently well. Still I shall wait a little longer before upgrading Just in case other issues emerge.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search