Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

German AIP: Georeferenced Aerodrome Charts?

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
That looks wrong.

This topic is about embedding aerodrome charts from the German AIP, hence its name. Georeferencing charts is the process of embedding somebody else's map (which is to scale) inside our own map. Obviously we need certain information to be able to do this: the geographic limits of the map itself and its projection, so we can align it with our own.

These shouldn't be confused with vector airfield diagrams such as the one we have for EDNY. These are very expensive to produce and maintain.
Edited 3/17/2016 11:09:14 AM by Tim Dawson
TTom
TTom
Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)
I would love to have Dortmund-Wickede (EDLW) with a georeferenced Aerodrome/Taxi chart.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I understand your concerns of publishing user-generated georeferencing information. Nevertheless, is there any chance to let us know how it works, e.g., by providing information on the format or access to the required tools, such that users can do it for just themselves?

+1
It would be really great if one could georeference a Aerodrome/Taxi chart just for himself.
Especially on big airports with many taxiways it would be a big big benefit if one could see himself on a moving map within an aerodrome chart.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
We will get there, I promise.
Renzo
R
Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/16/2016 3:14:16 PM
We will get there, I promise.

Hi Tim,

I just read this topic and wonder about DFS or Eisenschmidt why they´re not able to provide data you need for geo-reference. A few posts before you mentioned that ‌‌you think that very less pilots in germany have a need in geo-referenced aerodrome-plates. My opinion is they DO like but they won´t bother you extremely with that problem.

So I think the german community would like to use geo-referenced aerodrome-plates rather much! :-) Do you have news concerning the subject?

Kind regards,
Renzo‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The fact that nearly a year went by on this thread without any input speaks volumes. We are open to georeferencing some aerodrome charts but people simply don't seem to be that interested. The other issue is that the data isn't sufficient for us to do it perfectly; we only have the ARP and the map scale, which can only lead to an approximate georeferenced job.

Strangely enough at the Aero show recently somebody asked me about this, and I suggested to him that if he sent me a list of aerodromes (ten I think) I would be happy to trial a few more georeferenced plates, but I never received anything. ‌‌
Renzo
R
Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/24/2017 9:39:47 AM
The fact that nearly a year went by on this thread without any input speaks volumes. We are open to georeferencing some aerodrome charts but people simply don't seem to be that interested. The other issue is that the data isn't sufficient for us to do it perfectly; we only have the ARP and the map scale, which can only lead to an approximate georeferenced job.

Strangely enough at the Aero show recently somebody asked me about this, and I suggested to him that if he sent me a list of aerodromes (ten I think) I would be happy to trial a few more georeferenced plates, but I never received anything. ‌‌

Especially the list of aerodromes to be referenced I found in a thread from 2015 here in the forum...? "tschnell" listed some airfields and you replied to his list. I checkt the aerodromes but they weren´t referenced. Did I misunderstand the list or your answer?
http://forums.skydemon.aero/FindPost17796.aspx
http://forums.skydemon.aero/FindPost17807.aspx
‌‌

Renzo
R
Tim Dawson - 4/24/2017 9:39:47 AM

one more opinion:
just because of the reason nobody drops a line in the forum concerning the georeference (and the autozoom-feature) is not the 100% evidence that nobody is interested in. I hear lot of people speaking of "this feature jeppesen flite deck has and SD not" and so on. In my opinion it would be a good feature which enriches Sky Demon an could be one more USP.  Don´t you think so?

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
In my wild, wet dreams I envision a digital map with rich, detailed layers that adapts the information displayed perfectly to the current flight stage and my needs at that moment.

Part of that dream is a map which zooms in to show me a vectorized, georeferenced airport layout chart which helps me to interpret taxi instructions on busy and large airfields. It is a mere compromise to have different charts embedded into the background chart. This is a band-aid solution. The ultimate solution is to have all the data combined into one chart which adapts to my needs on the fly.

And guess what: it is already available from openflightmaps.org. The Austrian rescue helicopter service from ÖAMTC are using it. The German ADAC helicopter pilots have asked to use it too and are currently testing it. The Swiss rescue helicopter service is also lining up for it. And helicopter pilots are notorious in that they require detailed map information including up-to-date obstacles much more detailed than would be necessary for the GA pilot.

I had hoped that Tim from SD would have a serious and open‌‌ minded talk with Oliver from Openflightmaps.org. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened yet.

Greetings, -- Chris.‌‌

Edited 4/26/2017 8:36:47 AM by ckurz7000
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I expect those plates which we did georeferenced have subsequently been replaced, and then not georeferenced again.

Renzo, our customers are actually the best at giving us feedback about what they want. They are not shy! So when we don't hear much from customers about a pa‌‌rticular topic (such as auto-zoom or georeferenced German aerodrome charts) we know that the feature isn't as important as other things we hear about on a daily basis. I know that isn't nice to hear, if they're important to you, but every pilot is different and SkyDemon is a mass-market product.
Renzo
R
Tim Dawson - 4/26/2017 9:39:33 AM
I expect those plates which we did georeferenced have subsequently been replaced, and then not georeferenced again.

Renzo, our customers are actually the best at giving us feedback about what they want. They are not shy! So when we don't hear much from customers about a pa‌‌rticular topic (such as auto-zoom or georeferenced German aerodrome charts) we know that the feature isn't as important as other things we hear about on a daily basis. I know that isn't nice to hear, if they're important to you, but every pilot is different and SkyDemon is a mass-market product.

Hi Tim,

I agree‌‌ partly with you. I´m sure, that not EVERY pilot is taking time and drops lines here in the forum and I´m also sure that my posted issues are not only a single opinion of me. So the forum for me is at the very most an intersection of what pilots want or like or need.

‌‌So, what I want to say is:
‌both, auto-zoom and geo-referenced aerodrome-charts (not only germany of course), are features in a program like SD which help pilots generally conducting flights. If somebody won´t use the feature he should be able to disable it. And I´m also sure that many pilots would like this features because they´re not "exotic, specific" or so. Other programs do offer the features per se. (e.g. my old Garmin 296 does it since 15 years)

So why not offer a very good feature‌‌ which makes sense - anyhow, wether any crown asks for that or not. Please bear in mind that not everybody contributes topics in forums because they don´t do that at all - neither here nor there. I know minimum 10 of them in our club who brought me to SD.

Kind regards,
Renzo‌‌‌

PS: What is your opinion as a pilot‌‌? Would you think that both features we discuss here can be helpful or annoying to the pilot? So maybe not only a crowd goes the right way but a "philosophy"?

PSS: Just to make the point clear: SD is a very good piece of software‌‌. Thats the reason why I decided to buy SD and not any other product. e.g. one of "the others" already has: german VFR-AIP, auto-zoom and geo-r.charts. But I like SD more and hope the features will come.

Edited 4/26/2017 10:34:42 AM by Renzo
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search