Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Nexus 7 warning and question

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would still not expect everything to be perfect as at least one stability problem is an Android bug. I'm hoping the forthcoming Android 5.1 release will include the fix they have developed.
However there has been much work we've been able to do ourselves to improve stability, both by working around the specific bug I just mentioned and also in general.
The problem displaying magnetic track is a known issue in yesterday's beta and it's being addressed today.
There really are no significant feature changes in the beta builds compared to the latest public build, aside from the frequencies in the Live PLOG being included from the planning stage. It's all stability work and tweaks going on at the moment.
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)
Sky Painter (1/21/2015)
We're not quite out of the woods yet! Had a crash today going into Simulation Mode immediately after launching SD. Subsequent simulations were OK.

Same for me after upgrading to latest Android 5.0.2 on Nexus 7. Still getting crashes in simulation mode on latest Beta.
Joseph Cullen
Joseph Cullen
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
SkyDemon 3.2.0.28307
Android Version 5.0.2 (updated before I went flying this morning)
Nexus7 (2013)

Right - just flew today for two hours from Devon across to Wales and round the Pembrokshire coast (absolutely gorgeous).  If left alone for more than 10 minutes the screen blanked as per the settings.  In addition there were repeated SD crashes to the main screen that required an SD restart which picked up the route and position after pressing "go flying".  None of it is disastrous, just very annoying.

Other information - tablet had been shut down overnight; switched on this morning and opened SkyDemon to update all data; switched off again until just before engine start-up.  This is my normal pre-flight procedure.  Nexus powered from a USB socket on the panel.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
Was this using the latest beta version from 19th January?
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
If go straight to Simulate immediately after launching SD (without planning a route) SD crashes every time.

Had a short flight on Saturday -- no problems, but it was only a half hour flight, so probably not long enough really.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Do you have access to the crash log from such a repeatable crash? That would really help us.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Unfortunately, no. It would require installation of the Android SDK wouldn't it? And whilst I might be able to download and install it, I wouldn't have a clue where to go from there. Sorry.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)Too Much Forum (47K reputation)
Tim Dawson (1/26/2015)
Do you have access to the crash log from such a repeatable crash? That would really help us.

Hi Tim,

I tried yesterday's beta and am still having the crashing problems as well - not repeatable but very regular. I'm using the latest SD beta on a 2012 Nexus 7 with the very latest Android 5.0.2 update. I'll try and root the device and install the SDK to get some crash logs and debug info for you. It may take me a little time to work out how to do it.

Simon

Joseph Cullen
Joseph Cullen
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
No, I haven't installed the latest Beta version; should I?
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Tim Dawson (1/21/2015)
I would still not expect everything to be perfect as at least one stability problem is an Android bug. I'm hoping the forthcoming Android 5.1 release will include the fix they have developed.

I really feel uncomfortable when reading that statement.

I use several Android devices (around 7 now), most of them running Android 5 (from 5.0 to 5.0.2) and absolutely everything piece of software is stable. Except Skydemon.

Even the most resource intensive games, VFR navigation, picture edition or home automation tools are running fine. All without a glitch. Yes, most of the apps have been updated just after Android 5.0 launch, sometimes in a very unscheduled way, but they are all running fine since then.

So, perhaps something is wrong with Android 5. Certainly it is. But it seems that the nasty bug that makes every app on earth crashing is not inevitable and waiting Android 5.1 is not the only solution.

Edited 1/27/2015 11:03:43 AM by MikeTwoOne
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search