Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

How are NOTAMS selected?

Author
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I stumbled into a problem while flying in Corsica, but I could reproduce the problem on other planned flights.
I prepared a flight from Calvi (LFKC) to Propriano (LFKO), overflying the coast but also Corte Airport (LFKT), with maybe an stop at Corte.

Looking at the NOTAMS for the planned route, there was no NOTAM for Corte.
However I learned before landing there that the field is closed during the whole summer.
This is reflected by a NOTAM that is only shown if Corte is entered as a departure or landing airport.

Is this the way Skydemon is supposed to show NOTAMS?
I was under the impression that by choosing to display NOTAMS close to my route, a NOTAM closing an airfield should be included.
Am I expecting to much, or did I miss a setting?
Thanks.
PS : this is not hardware specific, it's the same on IPAD, Android or PC.

Tags
Edited 7/21/2014 5:35:40 PM by pgroell
radma011
radma011
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
Also, there are always IFR Notams such as airway changed etc. although I put VFR filter. Why is that?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Overflying an airfield should NOT cause Aerodrome-Only NOTAM for that airfield to be included in a narrow route brief, because the airfield is simply a waypoint. So that behaviour is by design, and I believe will be the same as any other narrow route briefing software.

I can comment on your other question if you give us an example of a NOTAM you believe to be IFR only, but I can tell you now that my comment will be that the NOTAM you point out is actually defined as being for VFR and IFR traffic.

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Tim, is the behavior of SD not showing airport NOTAMs if you're just overflying it standard for, say, national NOTAM searches done through the "official" channels?

If my vote counts for anything I would cast it in favor of including local airport notams, even in a narrow route briefing. The reason being  that this airport is part of your route (even though only as a waypoint), and there might easily be situations where you would want to land there (i.e., fuel, weather, technical problems, etc.). I, for one, choose airports as waypoints in some cases specifically for those reasons. I don't intend to land there but am prepared to do so in case of inclement weather, stronger than forecast headwinds, etc. Not having a pertinent NOTAM available because SD assumes that you're never going to land there might create a problem.

As a suggestion, I would include NOTAMs for every airport used as a waypoint in a route. If the route just passes close by or even directly over it (but doesn't use it as a waypoint) I would not include those NOTAMs.

Greetings, -- Chris.

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Hello Tim,
thanks for your answer.
I agree with Chris it would be nice to have (and make the planning safer) if NOTAMS of the aerodromes in the narrow route were included.
I might be spoiled but that is how the french SIA website works.
Moreover, on other website it's possible to add additionnal airports to get their NOTAMS in one request even if asking for the route,
I did not find this in SD.
One idea, would maybe to add it to the contextual menu like there is Find Plates entry, there could be an Add NOTAM menu.
I would even like to have Plates, Weather and NOTAMs in one right click menu entry.
Don't get me wrong, the product is great.
Regards

Pascal
PS: the thing about VFR/IFR was from another user.

Edited 7/22/2014 4:23:00 PM by pgroell
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Official NOTAM briefings such as the Eurocontrol one behave the same way as SkyDemon does.
It is very important not to clutter up NOTAM briefings with irrelevant information. Routing via an airfield is common enough that it would be bad to clutter a NOTAM briefing with stuff about taxiways being closed etc when the flightplan does not involve landing at that airfield. That is the reason why NOTAM are divided into separate relevances: Aerodrome only, Aerodrome and Enroute, Aerodrome and Warning etc.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search