Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

User Waypoints Duplicated on Opening SD for Android

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The bug we have identified and fixed led to duplication of user waypoints upon logging out and back in again.

It sounds from your description as if you're running in to a more serious problem, and one that we have not seen here in the office (and therefore probably have not fixed). Waypoints cannot just duplicate themselves; there must be a trigger action. Can you help us by determining what action is taken that results in duplication of the waypoints?
Rob Swain
Rob Swain
Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)Too Much Forum (822 reputation)
So the problem of where the duplicates came from is fixed. Great.

My problem was how to get rid of the thousands of duplicates that had been generated.

Why thousands? If it doubles them up, and I started with two then I only need to turn SD on 12 times to get 8192 of the damned things.

Trying to load a new, short waypoints list from the cloud appeared to just hang the app!
EDIT:
I managed to finally get the short list from the cloud to load. The problem was it was just taking forever, so I left it forever - over an hour I estimate - to do the update and nuke all the duplicated entries. This wouldn't work if I let the tablet timeout and the screen go to sleep so I had to go into Settings>Developer Options>, tick the Stay Awake option, and then plug the tablet in to charge.

For information the platform is a mk1 Nexus 7 16Gb with the latest published version of SD.
Edited 6/12/2014 8:47:20 AM by Rob Swain
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The trouble is, it isn't turning SkyDemon on which duplicates waypoints. That is not known to be a bug. It's logging out and back in, which isn't something that you would be doing very often (if at all). If you're getting duplication simply when starting SkyDemon, that sounds like a different bug. But perhaps you could install the latest beta and confirm whether it still happens.
Paul Walton
Paul Walton
Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)
Hi Chaps
Nothing new to add, I'm afraid, other than to say that I too am suffering from exactly the same problem. I have approx 30+ user-defined waypoints defined and each one appears to be duplicated around 30 times. So I too am suffering a significant performance loss on my Nexus 7 and share the same problem as described earlier. Restoring from the cloud just hangs the machine. Not at all easy to recover from.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Thx
Paul Walton
Paul Walton
Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)Too Much Forum (732 reputation)
Just one thing to add. I've found that by far the quickest way around the problem is to uninstall SD from the Tablet, then re-install it from Google Play Store. It removes the problem and is massively faster than waiting around for the system to upload waypoints from the cloud. I estimate I had around 1850 waypoints including all the duplications. Trying to "load from cloud" just hung the machine completely. The re-install was over and done with - and problem (perhaps temporarily) resolved - in a matter of a 1-2 minutes or so. I can also confirm that with the duplications removed, the speed and responsiveness of SD has been restored. It was extremely sluggish before and in, fact had started to crash very regularly. I am running SD 3.0.7 and so far, the problem hasn't reappeared, although it was evident with 3.0.7 when I originally downloaded this version earlier. Maybe 3.0.7 doesn't remove the issue if it's already present, but (hopefully) it solves the re-appearance of the duplication issue one you have a "clean" set of waypoints?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
3.0.7 should stop the duplication problem, but if they've already been duplicated, it will faithfully load them all.
kavok
kavok
Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.2K reputation)
Still SD stop when I go on wpt list duplicate more and more time.
I put on SD on two wpt...
Last Android version on nexus 7.
Angelo
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search