Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Is Skydemon a valid replacement for charts?

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We actually reworded our disclaimer in the latest version.

Interesting idea about showing chart validity on startup. The problem with that approach is that on iOS, the startup screen isn't seen by many as once you press I Agree, SkyDemon continues to run for weeks without being reset. Unless the OS terminates it because it hasn't been switched to for a long time.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
The disclaimer of the PC version reads as follows:

This software is intended as an aid to flight planning only. It does not replace your chart of any other tools mandated for the safe planning of flights.

All our chart data is compiled from official sources where such sources exist, hoever it is not certified by any governing body for any particular purpose and therefore any guidance given should be checked where possible.

To indicate that you have read and understand this message, press Yes. Otherwise, press No.

I wonder if something like the text below might also work for SD.

This software is intended as an aid to flight planning. Its use as a legal replacenent for other charts or tools mandated for the safe planning of flights must be ascertained by the user in accordance with governing laws and regulations.

All our chart data are compiled from official sources where such sources exist, however, it is not certified by any governing body for any particular purpose and therefore any guidance given should be checked where possible.

To indicate that you have read and understand this message, press Yes. Otherwise, press No.

Below this text, in the same startup window, I would list installed charts and the dates they are valid until.

Greetings, -- Chris.
Edited 5/15/2014 5:10:53 PM by ckurz7000
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Thanks for pointing out that the PC version's disclaimer had not been correctly updated; this will be fixed in the next version. We want the disclaimers on all platform editions to be consistent. The new disclaimer is not likely to be updated again for a while; it has been translated into most of our target languages already.

I like the idea of listing installed charts, but there are two problems with that: firstly, some people have over a dozen charts installed, and secondly, that most people (who use iOS) only see the disclaimer screen very infrequently. Much less often than charts are updated.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
The new disclaimer reads great. I think it works well to cover SD's a$$ and at the same time does not denigrate the use of SD as a legal flight planning tool where possible.

Regarding the currency status of installed charts being displayed on the intro screen:

I know that some iOS users see that screen only rarely. But that's their choice. I always close down SD for good (flicking up). They also have the choice to check currency status while the program is running under Setup>Charts. In my opinion it adds to the professionalism and thoroughness of SD. In case there is too little room on the screen to display the currency status of every installed chart, I suggest that If there is at least one chart out of date, you could simply say, "Some installed charts are out of date and need to be updated. Go to Setup>Charts [or add a button that takes the user to the charts menu directly] for more information." If all charts are up to date, simply say, "All installed charts are current".

Greetings, -- Chris.
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
SD warns for out of date charts anyway now via a popup, and this happens even if you haven't fully exited the app, so I'd say this suggestion has already been fulfilled, but in an even more reliable manner.

If you need to show someone that your charts are up-to-date, you can just go to the charts tab which shows in green 'Latest Chart Installed' for each entry.
Edited 5/21/2014 8:37:19 AM by stevelup
Michel RIAZUELO
Michel RIAZUELO
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Legal or not legal is not my question !

My only need is to complete my flight safety if all my screens go black ...
and my engine continues to run !!!

The ability to print charts with SD suits me perfectly and it is also the reason why I bought it.
I can add to these
printed charts all the informations of each leg of my route, altitudes, frequencies etc ...

I think this "enhanced" chart is the best I can have on board Smile

Have good flights ...
Michel
MaverickVG
M
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Hello all,

since this topic is already pretty old and I didn't find a new one I post here again, sorry for that.

I use Skydemon for years and trust its data completely, made many many flights with it without any problem.
Although I have a valid "official" paper chart with me on all flights (for my personal conscience, "in case of gps failure"), a question from one of my students come up if it is "valid" to only have SkyDemon and no official ICAO chart in Germany (which is also available digitally). Does anyone have any experience how the officials treat Skydemon nowadays, especially in Germany? Don't want to come into a ramp check without a proper answer :-)

So, is there an update on this?
Thanks!
Best,
Sebastian

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
MaverickVG - 3/16/2021 2:46:22 PM
Hello all,

since this topic is already pretty old and I didn't find a new one I post here again, sorry for that.

I use Skydemon for years and trust its data completely, made many many flights with it without any problem.
Although I have a valid "official" paper chart with me on all flights (for my personal conscience, "in case of gps failure"), a question from one of my students come up if it is "valid" to only have SkyDemon and no official ICAO chart in Germany (which is also available digitally). Does anyone have any experience how the officials treat Skydemon nowadays, especially in Germany? Don't want to come into a ramp check without a proper answer :-)

So, is there an update on this?
Thanks!
Best,
Sebastian

Under SERA it is perfectly legal across EASA states to carry navigation data, inclusing charts, in electronic form providing backup can be assured. That could be an 'official' paper chart (probably already out of date by the time it is printed), a print of your SkyDemon chart, a second electronic device with SkyDemon or a different navifgation app.

Don't confuse loss of GNSS with loss of the chart. There is no legal requirement to carry a moving map, and a paper chart doesn't have a little yellow aeroplane crawling across it! 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search