SkyDemon Forums

Is Skydemon a valid replacement for charts?

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic11855.aspx

By BCS112 - 4/24/2014 12:39:43 PM

Hi all,

If this topic has been dealt with before then my apologies for re-posting, please point me to the relevant forum topic in that case.

As you all know Jeppesen has stopped selling the paper charts that many of us have used over the years for flying throughout Europe. Since these are no longer available there seems to be no (easy) way to get hold of charts in different countries to use for VFR navigation.

I am planning a flight from Oostende in Belgium to Catania in Sicily in a few weeks through Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, France, Switzerland, Corsica and Italy so I am in desperate need of a good APP that will allow me to fly these 1500 to 2000NM in full confidence that I will be correctly informed about airspace location and restrictions and not make any infringements into forbidden area's etc...

Is Skydemon an APP that will allow me to do so?

While going through the forums I noticed that there was some concern by some users about visual reference points being in the wrong location on the maps, especially when flying in unfamiliar areas, this can be an issue since we are flying visually after all and airport location and entry points are often linked to visual features.

Any feedback on the legal position of the software and data used (is the software in any way validated to make sure that the information is accurate?) and some feedback from current users would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Björn
By grahamb - 3/16/2021 4:16:21 PM

MaverickVG - 3/16/2021 2:46:22 PM
Hello all,

since this topic is already pretty old and I didn't find a new one I post here again, sorry for that.

I use Skydemon for years and trust its data completely, made many many flights with it without any problem.
Although I have a valid "official" paper chart with me on all flights (for my personal conscience, "in case of gps failure"), a question from one of my students come up if it is "valid" to only have SkyDemon and no official ICAO chart in Germany (which is also available digitally). Does anyone have any experience how the officials treat Skydemon nowadays, especially in Germany? Don't want to come into a ramp check without a proper answer :-)

So, is there an update on this?
Thanks!
Best,
Sebastian

Under SERA it is perfectly legal across EASA states to carry navigation data, inclusing charts, in electronic form providing backup can be assured. That could be an 'official' paper chart (probably already out of date by the time it is printed), a print of your SkyDemon chart, a second electronic device with SkyDemon or a different navifgation app.

Don't confuse loss of GNSS with loss of the chart. There is no legal requirement to carry a moving map, and a paper chart doesn't have a little yellow aeroplane crawling across it!