Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Wind instrument - Xwind info too?

Author
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim Dawson (19/03/2014)
I'm not familiar with the G1000 and can't visualise the type of display you're talking about. Would somebody care to mock it up?

http://www.skydemon.aero/forums/Uploads/Images/55cf85eb-4e74-4903-9edc-4fc5.png
svartbjorn
svartbjorn
Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)
Thank you srayne! The new combined mode HDWIND/TLWIND/X WIND that I am suggesting is like the Style 1 showed in srayne's illustrations.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
What do you think of this? Would a single precisely rotated arrow be any better? I am working within the constraints of the SkyDemon instrument system, with the smaller yellow text at the top when whatever we want below.

srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)

Tim Dawson (20/03/2014)
What do you think of this? Would a single precisely rotated arrow be any better? I am working within the constraints of the SkyDemon instrument system, with the smaller yellow text at the top when whatever we want below.http://www.skydemon.aero/extras/wind.png

Perfect Smile

http://www.skydemon.aero/extras/wind.png

Edited 3/20/2014 1:49:01 PM by srayne
svartbjorn
svartbjorn
Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)
Agree. Perfect!! The H/T letter to indicate Head/Tail and L/R for Left/Right xwind is not necessary if space is limited, since the direction of arrows tell you by a glance if it is Head or Tail, and Left or Right respectively. But it doesn't hurt if you have room for it.

I must say I am impressed by the quick response and followup from SD!! Thank you so much, SD!!
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Good point. We definitely have room for the T/H and L/R, but we could easily remove them. Do you both think it'd be better with or without?
srayne
srayne
I think I would prefer without - looks cleaner & simpler.

http://www.skydemon.aero/forums/Uploads/Images/67d12e84-d3ce-4f78-b6e7-58ed.png
Edited 3/20/2014 5:32:13 PM by srayne
svartbjorn
svartbjorn
After looking at the two options you presented for view 2, I definitely think your latter proposal (with wind speed without H/T and L/R) is the best one. Duplicated information (H/T and L/R on top of wind arrows) just makes the picture more cluttered. For view 1 the wind vector values are shown as degrees/speed like 219/49, not something like D219/S49. I don't think anybody would like a D219/S49 format. So no H/T L/R prefix makes the two views consistent.

Another interesting observation: for all the other instruments the upper half of the instrument tells the function (GS, DST NXT, ALT etc) and the lower half displays the value. However, on the wind instrument it is opposte: view 1 shows the wind vector in the lower half and the value (direction/speed) in the upper half. And your proposal for view 2 displays the wind arrows in the lower half and the values in the upper half. May be you should swap the upper and lower half such that the function (wind vector in view 1 and wind arrows in view 2) is shown in the upper half, and the values are shown in the lower half?
Edited 3/20/2014 8:19:39 PM by svartbjorn
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Yes, we came to a similar conclusion last night. Here's the current output:

http://www.skydemon.aero/extras/wind2.png

What do you think?
srayne
srayne
Tim Dawson (21/03/2014)
Yes, we came to a similar conclusion last night. Here's the current output:

http://www.skydemon.aero/extras/wind2.png

What do you think?

Great - when's the next release?

Many thanks Tim.
Edited 3/21/2014 11:33:05 AM by srayne
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...