Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Live tracking

Author
pschartau
Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It would be great to have live flight tracking - ie. transmit the breadcrumbs to the SkyDemon cloud in real time if a mobile connection is active, or cache the track (maybe a data point every minute or so) and transmit the cached track as soon as a connection is available.

Then have user-configurable public or private map that firends/family can look at on-line to follow the flight progress.

Thoughts?
jetlag03
j
Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)
Morning. It's been a long while since the thread was posted, has there been any movement towards the live tracking? I am a new and very impressed user but  'er indoors would be happier if she could she in real time where I am.
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
It would be a stunning feature and might get more to buy SD - but if implemented there must be an on/off button due to privacy right!
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
Just to add - Flightradar24 is transponder or equal dependent, so this would give all SD users the possibility.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We have no problem doing something like this, but not many people have asked for it over the years. It's a bit big-brothery, isn't it? And if it's to keep a loved one happy, be aware that if you have no internet connection for a while it'll only serve to achieve the opposite as no updates are received for ages and they start to worry.
derWessi
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Just a little hint:
I'm currently using a GPS tracker to let my wife know where I am in flight. While moving it sends it's updated position every 60 seconds to my private NAS at home where a traccar (www.traccar.org) server is listening. I'm  using a sim card with a pay-as-you-go plan that includes 10 MB of data per month free of charge. Since each position update is only few bytes in size the 10 MB limit is more than sufficient for daily use without any additional costs. Alternatively there is also a traccar client app available for android and iOS. 

Regards,
Andreas

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
SemperFi, I get the impression you've misunderstood the GDPR. As long as you're not collecting and distributing such data in secret (i.e. the user has consented or is aware of what you're doing) the GDPR does not prevent one from performing such services.
jetlag03
j
Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)Too Much Forum (59 reputation)
It would also give a good last known location in case of "it hitting the fan". The facility would, for me and my wife at least, be a great asset, real time is no problems for me as I create a personal hotspot with my iphone then connect the ipad to the hotspot. Whilst I realize that some outage may be unavoidable, these days they are not that common. I would suggest that rather than a facility to turn off such an asset, it should be off by default and that each user must request and acknowledge the use of such an asset. The receiver of of the data would have a password protected access to ensure it is not available to all. 
jetlag03
j
SemperFi - 7/16/2018 7:26:13 AM

It is part of my daily job in the service industry to work on the matter. Such a service is programming peanuts, but providing legally correct procedures for storage, deletion and obligation to disclose is almost impossible. Suicide is many, if not most, countries put violations in criminal law not civil law.

Just curious, but flight trader, Airtribune and many other progs provide real time tracking for individuals and companies, how do they circumnavigate the situation or are they all doomed. The lunatics are surely running the asylum.

jetlag03
j
derWessi - 7/9/2018 2:02:41 PM
Just a little hint:
I'm currently using a GPS tracker to let my wife know where I am in flight. While moving it sends it's updated position every 60 seconds to my private NAS at home where a traccar (www.traccar.org) server is listening. I'm  using a sim card with a pay-as-you-go plan that includes 10 MB of data per month free of charge. Since each position update is only few bytes in size the 10 MB limit is more than sufficient for daily use without any additional costs. Alternatively there is also a traccar client app available for android and iOS. 

Regards,
Andreas

Morning derWessi

I am a bit of a thicky when it comes to tech. I have the iphone and ipad, could you please explain how I would go about setting this up on my iphone and what are the ongoing costs please.

Thank you 

Phil.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search