Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Live tracking

Author
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
jetlag03 - 7/19/2018 9:06:57 AM
derWessi - 7/9/2018 2:02:41 PM
Just a little hint:
I'm currently using a GPS tracker to let my wife know where I am in flight. While moving it sends it's updated position every 60 seconds to my private NAS at home where a traccar (www.traccar.org) server is listening. I'm  using a sim card with a pay-as-you-go plan that includes 10 MB of data per month free of charge. Since each position update is only few bytes in size the 10 MB limit is more than sufficient for daily use without any additional costs. Alternatively there is also a traccar client app available for android and iOS. 

Regards,
Andreas

Morning derWessi

I am a bit of a thicky when it comes to tech. I have the iphone and ipad, could you please explain how I would go about setting this up on my iphone and what are the ongoing costs please.

Thank you 

Phil.

Hi Phil,
sorry for the late response. 
The cheapest and easiest way for you to start would be to use the free traccar client app in combination with one of the free  traccar demo servers (have a look at the list of free servers here: https://www.traccar.org/demo-server/ ). 
This combination is free of charge. There are also paid servers available but just for tracking your position on a map you don't need them. 

Here are the basic steps to setup this:
(I'm referring to the android version but the apple version should be the similar)
- download the Traccar client from your App store.
- Start the app
-  change the URL to http://demo5.traccar.org:5055 (or whatever demo server you want to choose from the link above)
(note the port number 5055. It's important to not change that. This indicates to the server that your device is a traccar client app)
- write down the 6 digits Device ID
- start the service
- create an account on the demo server you choose in the client app (Click Register, add a name, email and password).
- Login to the server using the email and password
- on the devices Tab on the left side add the '+' symbol 
- Add an arbitrary device name and the 6 digit device ID from the app
- under "+Extra" change the Category to Plane

- By default your phone will send a position update every 300 seconds. You can always see the latest position on the map by clicking on the device name under the Devices Tab. If you don't see positions update than check the status page in the client app for errors.
- You can also configure your client app to send position updates triggered by a certain movement.
- You can install also the Traccar Manager app instead of using your web-browser to visit the traccar server.
Its worth to read the documentation of the traccar server. For example you can plot your last flight(s) using the Reports facility.

A more sophisticated way would be to configure and use a hardware GPS tracker like a TK102 or similar. The monthly costs for those trackers depend on what you pay for the SIM card. As I mentioned earlier I have a SIM card that costs me nothing per month and still have 10 MB of free data - which is enough for a GPS tracker. Also I'm not using the demo server but have the server running on my private NAS at home. This gives you the possibility to add geofences and receive mails, when the device enters or leaves certain areas. (and you have full control over the collected data)

Happy tracking,
Andreas

EHOW flyer
EHOW flyer
Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)
The easiest way to share your position with any of your friends or family is to use Google Maps, Glympse or many other apps doing this for you and for free (and for your personal data...Wink).
And make them aware that you are dependable on a good working cell connection, and that is not often the case.

ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Around here I lose phone connection above 2000ft, ie all the time.
If people want to know where I am, they can go to flightradar. As a bonus, everybody else around knows I am there too. I don't understand this no-transponder BS. The fact that it is allowed does not make it a good idea. I don't understand the no-COM either for the same reason.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search