Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

What I would like is...a better way of handling alternative routes

Author
Ramscroft
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I often plan a long route outside controlled airspace but have in mind short cuts through controlled airspace if granted. An example would be Southend to Nuthamptead. The long route is DCT LAM DCT BPK DCT. The short route goes direct via the Stansted overhead, if Essex radar let me.

What I would like to be able to do is to put both routes in my plan (and on my plog), so that I'm prepared for either. This is similar to the way alternate destinations are handled, a leg in the route that you might or might not fly, but obviously in the middle of a route instead of just at the end.

I would also prefer to have the ability to plan the route to the alternate. As it is now, it is just a straight line to the alternate but that may cross controlled airspace. It would be better if it were possible to put additional weigh points in the route to the alternate.

Ray
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Can't you plan two different routes? When cleared through the airspace you simply load the other route.

-- Chris.
adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
I've been thinking about this recently. Planning a flight to Caernarfon I ended up with three routes planned to handle various weather conditions (one straight over the mountains, one to the South over high ish ground, and one to the North over lower ground).

Would have been nice to be able to have all of these in one route somehow...

Andy
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Would have been nice to be able to have all of these in one route somehow

Yes, the "somehow" is the catch. It's easy to pile on new features while cluttering the user interface, losing sight of the program's purpose and generally confusing the user.

A good software designer has to decide which feature truly adds value to his program. So far the SD team have evolved the program admirably, finding ways to integrate useful functionality in an intuitive way.

Keep up the good work, guys! -- Chris.
Edited 4/15/2013 4:47:07 PM by ckurz7000
adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
Agree absolutely. I'm a software engineer myself so know how difficult it is to keep a balance between adding bells and whistles and not making the software overly complex for the user. Tricky one.

Andy
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
The Route Direct functionality in SkyDemon is actually pretty clever. If you plan a route around controlled airspace but subsequently get a clearance right through, you can bring up the context menu for the waypoint on the other side and select "Route Direct" and SkyDemon will modify your route to go straight through, leaving the rest of it (and what's behind you) intact.
Ramscroft
Ramscroft
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Chris - Yes, can do two routes but loading a new route at a busy time is not ideal when I should have my eyes outside. It would be better if I could "pair" the two routes during the planning process and SD then recognises that I've switched to plan B by the track I'm actually taking. This wouldn't clutter the user interface as far as I can see.

Tim - Direct to works as long as the clearance you get is direct to where you want to go. In practice you often get cleared via some intermediate points and you get to know (if you transit regularly) what route you are likely to be given.

The same is true of alternates, if the route from your planned destination to your alternate is not a straight lie (due terrain or airspace) there is no way to plan the intermediate weighpoints.

Ray
sprucegoose
sprucegoose
Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)
The route direct is certainly useful, but what I miss is a Garmin-like function which would allow you to route direct to the next waypoint in the flightplan from present position. This is very useful when you've deviated intentionally or unintentionally from the route of a particular leg, and want to get gradually back on track in time for the next waypoint. At the moment, you can only route direct to a final destination, as far as I can see, unless there's more to this function than I realise.

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
It would actually be useful to be able to do a "long tap" on a waypoint and choose "direct to" from the context menu. That should be easy enough and would be quite useful.

-- Chris.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
What a brilliant idea! It gets my vote.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore